• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Ford Customer Mounted Trailer Camera Wire Routing

dstrait70

Hi all,

My wife and I are gearing up for our first full RV season in the Delta 262RB we purchased in October 2023. We tow with an F-150 Powerboost hybrid truck and over the winter I purchased the Ford customer mounted trailer camera that integrates with the display screen in the truck. The kit also includes a TPMS monitor and a yaw sensor for trailer backup control assistance. The camera component will be mounted to the back of the RV and a 40ft wiring bundle that is long enough to run from the back of the RV to the front where it will plug into a harness that combines the camera, yaw sensor and TPMS cables together. Then a single wire runs to the hitch where it plugs into the truck bumper.

Right now I am trying to figure out the best route from the back of the RV to the front without too much exposed wiring. If there is a pathway on the back wall of the RV to get from the roof to the underbelly, I could then run it under the trailer to the front of the RV. I could also send it to the roof and run it on the roof to the front of the RV and then find a way to the basement from there, maybe in the wall between the kitchen and bedroom?

I know @Jim Beletti has done a ton of work on his Delta so hoping you could provide some pointers from what you have learned/encountered so far?

Link to install manual for refefrence purposes…parts are shown on page 2 including the camera cable bundle (E) that will run from back of RV to front.

Thanks in advance all!

Dave

daemonic3

Hi, I have a new Ram I am picking up any day now, and will run the wired camera to the back as well. I don't want anything permanent or adding holes that need patching, in case we change trailers again (we keep upgrading every 3-4 years!). So I have few same task, with slightly different constraints.

What I'm planning is to run it along the campside frame following the propane line to the back (I have a Delta 294RK). From the back, make a short exposed hop into the ladder's left vertical square tubing. Then use the ladder tubing as a conduit and take the cord out the top of the ladder. At that point, rather than mount and seal into the trailer wall, we'll attach a rigid steel mount to the ladder to hold the camera bracket. It will be slightly off center but I think that will be ok.

My constraints:
1. No permanent mounts or holes on trailer
2. Easily removable
3. No ugly visible cords (wife's rule)

Anyway, those are my plans and constraints, if any of those ideas help!

NOTE: Some Deltas ladders seem to have 1" square tubing, while mine has 3/4". It is still enough to send my cable through it, as Ram uses Fakra coax connectors. Ford connectors may be different.

dstrait70

Hi, I have a new Ram I am picking up any day now, and will run the wired camera to the back as well. I don't want anything permanent or adding holes that need patching, in case we change trailers again (we keep upgrading every 3-4 years!). So I have few same task, with slightly different constraints.

What I'm planning is to run it along the campside frame following the propane line to the back (I have a Delta 294RK). From the back, make a short exposed hop into the ladder's left vertical square tubing. Then use the ladder tubing as a conduit and take the cord out the top of the ladder. At that point, rather than mount and seal into the trailer wall, we'll attach a rigid steel mount to the ladder to hold the camera bracket. It will be slightly off center but I think that will be ok.

My constraints:
1. No permanent mounts or holes on trailer
2. Easily removable
3. No ugly visible cords (wife's rule)

Anyway, those are my plans and constraints, if any of those ideas help!

NOTE: Some Deltas ladders seem to have 1" square tubing, while mine has 3/4". It is still enough to send my cable through it, as Ram uses Fakra coax connectors. Ford connectors may be different.
Thank you for this idea! I will add it to my list of options.

daemonic3

Thank you for this idea! I will add it to my list of options.
Curious what size tubing you find your ladder has when you get a chance! I'm not sure why mine is not 1" but it still feels plenty strong.
I think your propane line stops at half the length of the trailer on the 262RB, mine goes alllll the way back to the rear wall to feed the oven/stove. I don't know how they actually anchor it, like were there holes in the frame to tie it to, or what. I was just going to zip tie at the same anchor points as the propane. That's why I'm wondering what yours has.

dstrait70

Curious what size tubing you find your ladder has when you get a chance! I'm not sure why mine is not 1" but it still feels plenty strong.
I think your propane line stops at half the length of the trailer on the 262RB, mine goes alllll the way back to the rear wall to feed the oven/stove. I don't know how they actually anchor it, like were there holes in the frame to tie it to, or what. I was just going to zip tie at the same anchor points as the propane. That's why I'm wondering what yours has.
Might be a while before I can get you that tube sizing because my 262RB is stored 30 minutes away. I don’t get out there often. You are correct about the 262RB propane line. It stops between the entry door and the pull out grill and the unit comes with a flexible hose to connect the grill.

daemonic3

Might be a while before I can get you that tube sizing because my 262RB is stored 30 minutes away. I don’t get out there often. You are correct about the 262RB propane line. It stops between the entry door and the pull out grill and the unit comes with a flexible hose to connect the grill.
HA! Mine is stored 25 minutes away. I can't do quick little DIY jobs or measurements easily either. Drives me nuts! But at least I have the comfort that it is stored indoors and they wash it each time. Plus battery, propane, tire pressure services whenever we ask.

dstrait70

HA! Mine is stored 25 minutes away. I can't do quick little DIY jobs or measurements easily either. Drives me nuts! But at least I have the comfort that it is stored indoors and they wash it each time. Plus battery, propane, tire pressure services whenever we ask.
Wow, sounds like a nice place! Mine is sitting outside in a field at a fairgrounds RV storage lot.

daemonic3

It's all a tradeoff - I pay an arm and a leg but I felt justified for selling previous trailers at a premium for their fairly pristine exterior condition