• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

External Propane Tanks - how do they get connected to the RV?

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
How does one connect a larger external propane tank? We are stationary for months and would like to rent a larger tank. TIA.

Hi @Jim & Lesa Kelley - I haven't had any experience doing this but from what I've heard from others who've done it, the company that rents and delivers the tank, usually connects them up. I believe they remove the pigtail from the regulator in one of your propane cabinets, then connect their own propane hose to the regulator inlet and over to their tank.

This forum is growing but we might not yet have enough users that have done this and can weigh in. I suggest you place a quick call with the gas provider. If you learn anything from them, please consider circling back to this thread with a follow-up in order to help others who might need to know the same info. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hi @Jim & Lesa Kelley - I haven't had any experience doing this but from what I've heard from others who've done it, the company that rents and delivers the tank, usually connects them up. I believe they remove the pigtail from the regulator in one of your propane cabinets, then connect their own propane hose to the regulator inlet and over to their tank.

This forum is growing but we might not yet have enough users that have done this and can weigh in. I suggest you place a quick call with the gas provider. If you learn anything from them, please consider circling back to this thread with a follow-up in order to help others who might need to know the same info. Thanks.
Thanks Jim, I will give the local provider a call!

Upvote 0

david396

The tank I purchased came without the valve to connect an extend hose to. I ended up buying a 10 ft. hose from and several fittings from ACE hardware, a few reducers at lowes, and 2 more from amazon. Sounds like alot but no one had the correct size in stock.

Upvote 0

david396

We are stationary in our Some Other Brand, and are using a 100 lb tank. They brought out the necessary stuff to connect but we purchased it from them. When they pick it back it, they refund that money. At least that’s how our provider handles it.
Thats good to know they do that. Take pictures of the fittings or see if the service provider will give you the part number.

Upvote 0
So I am going through this right now. We have an Alliance Paradigm 390MP. Right now it is up on my property in Colorado at around 9500'. Its cold in the winter and I am wanting to connect 2 external 100lb propane tanks. I really I would like to use an "Extend a stay" and connect the 100lb external to the Extend a Stay and be able to with over to my 40lb tanks if I need to on the RV via the "Extend a Stay". I have never done this and had some questions as well. For instance the RV already has a dual stage automatic switch regulator on it. Do I need an additional regulator going to the 100lb tank as I have read that you do? I would think that the regulator that is on the RV would be sufficient for the tank to ratchet down the pressure from the external tank. The second question I have is that since I have 1 regulator on the RV and two inputs for propane on the 1 regulator I am assuming the other side of the RV where the other propane tank is snakes the connector under the RV or through the basement to the one regulator?

Upvote 0
Our 100 lb tank is connected straight to the system, bypassing our 40 lb tanks completely. They showed us how to reconnect if needed.
Hi Southernlady. I know I could connect directly to regulator if I want. I was wanting to put in a "Extend a Stay" and still have the ability to use the 40lb propane tanks if I want.

Upvote 0
Our 100 lb tank is connected straight to the system, bypassing our 40 lb tanks completely. They showed us how to reconnect if needed.
By the way. Did you need or was it recommended to have a regulator out of the 100lb tank as well or were you able to go directly to the regulator on the RV?

Upvote 0
We have NOT had to do this set up on the Valor because thank God we are able to chase 70* now, but halve had to do this multiple times back at our sticks and bricks in Colorado, we were also over 9000 feet, we just hooked up directly to the propane line with an adapter to the pigtail, the tank has its own regulator on it and the delivery driver will set that to match what’s coming out of the normal 30s.

You won’t need anything regulator wise on your coach.

Upvote 0
By the way. Did you need or was it recommended to have a regulator out of the 100lb tank as well or were you able to go directly to the regulator on the RV?
They showed us how to go back to the 40 lbers if needed.But we tend to get refilled before we do. This spring we will be turning it in, we are buying a house and storing the RV instead of living in it.

Upvote 0

mooree

Ensure your external propane tank is in good condition and properly filled before hooking up. If your tank doesn't come with a regulator and hose, you'll need to purchase these separately.

Last edited:
Upvote 0