• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Ethernet cable run

I'm trying to run a ethernet cable for Starlink from the basement to behind the tv in living area of our 22ML and I'm wondering if anyone has done this. My thinking is I might be able to run it up the wall where the water lines come up for the shower? Thought I would ask before removing the shower fixture. Other ideas welcomed. Thanks

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried just putting in your passthrough storeage area? This is what I do on our 340RL. The startlink cable comes in via the water hose area, then I use the power plug in the wet bay and place the router in the passthrough. Works great! Our RV's are not that large and the signal is great throughout the RV...and even outside the RV (ie..picnic table)

Jim, I do plan on running the cable through water hose opening, really wanted to use the inverter plug by the TV. I haven't used the Starlink yet so didn't have anyway to judge the range. We are leaving on the 17th and the to do list on the new rig just keeps getting longer so we may just do it the way you suggest.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Jim, I do plan on running the cable through water hose opening, really wanted to use the inverter plug by the TV. I haven't used the Starlink yet so didn't have anyway to judge the range. We are leaving on the 17th and the to do list on the new rig just keeps getting longer so we may just do it the way you suggest.
Ah...I never considered your wet bay plug wasn't "hot" from the inverter. ☹️ I gutted my 340RL and put in all new Victron systems, which in turn enables every outlet to be "hot" while the inverter is on.

There is enough loose romex that I can probably put in a junction box and make the wet bay plug hot on the inverter but I think I will look at running the ethernet cable first.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
There is enough loose romex that I can probably put in a junction box and make the wet bay plug hot on the inverter but I think I will look at running the ethernet cable first.
Should be able to drop the underbelly (not a fun task...use impact driver) and create the cable run.

If I do this, I will pull the valves in the shower to make sure I can get into the cabinets on the passenger side plus down to the pass through compartment. If I can't hide the cable in the cabinet it won't be done that way. If I can fish it from the cabinets it will be dropped down with enough slack that I can hook it pulling it to the water pump opening. Yesterday I tried to pull the panels out of the pass through compartment but couldn't pull the last one out of the channel on the right side only thing I can figure is there is a screw with the head twisted off some where along the channel. I ran a putty knife down the channel but couldn't feel anything. Will try again as I would like to clean up the mess left during construction.

Drilled a 3/4" hole in the wall inside the upper cabinet between the living area and the shower 6" from the outside wall. I dropped a fish line down attaching the ethernet cable to pull into the wet bay. Found the hidden screw holding the divider which allowed me to snag the fish line. Will extent the cable behind the television and mount the router there. Did not pull the valves in the shower another couple of hours will finish the job.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Drilled a 3/4" hole in the wall inside the upper cabinet between the living area and the shower 6" from the outside wall. I dropped a fish line down attaching the ethernet cable to pull into the wet bay. Found the hidden screw holding the divider which allowed me to snag the fish line. Will extent the cable behind the television and mount the router there. Did not pull the valves in the shower another couple of hours will finish the job.
congrats!! Little determination can get you a long way. Any pictures?