• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Disinfecting the fresh water tank

Keysandstops

Hey, any of you plumbing experts know why the siphon might not be working when putting bleach and water into the fresh water tank? Got the 5-gallon bucket, a 4-foot hose, and the valve levers in the right position, but it's not pulling the the bleach/water solution. What am I doing wrong?

BryanValRox

Good evening, have you tried raising the bucket up to a level that is the same height as the pump inlet.
This trick has been used by many folks during winterization, when they couldn’t get the antifreeze to pump thru.
Hope this helps!

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I find it MUCH easier to simply pour bleach into the hose (already connect to house water and then simply attach to RV. Let the water pressure from the house, push the water/bleach into the tank. I have always used 1/4 cup bleach for every 15 gallons of water. Fill your tanks with this formula...run this bleach water through your lines...allow to sit for 24 hours. Drain entire tank...fill with fresh water...run water through lines....sit for 24 hours. Drain tank and fill again. Flush water lines until you no longer smell bleach. Done...now you will have a CLEAN tank and water lines. I do this every Spring when we take the RV out of Winter storage

This water meter is the best! It will tell you exactly how much water you are putting in the tank.