• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Considering a 310RL

michigander

Hi all,

We're considering a 310RL and I have a few questions.

My tow vehicle is a 2014 F350 4x4 SRW Powerstroke. Unfortunately it has a 3.31 axle.

Does anyone have experience pulling a 310RL with a similar vehicle.

My loading label says I am good for 3371 lbs (which should cover the 2,530 pin weight and still leave room for passengers, hitch and a little cargo).

The rated capability for 5th wheel towing is 16,100 so that covers the GVWR of 15K.

I'm coming from a 2002 5th wheel that's about 4600 lbs lighter and a foot shorter. So it will take a little adjustment to get used to a bigger trailer.

Thanks.

Whitewolf

We're near Ann Arbor. We love the U.P. we've been making an annual trek to Bewabic State Park for the last 8 or 9 years.
I don't think we've ever stayed at Bewabic. Been to other campgrounds around that area, but not there. Ever make the trek over to Copper Peak? BTW, we live a 5 minute walk from Brimley State Park.

kmac7800

Remember, that pin weight (2,530) is based upon "unloaded" weight, not loaded weight.

My 310RL pin weight is 3,300 when loaded for camping (or 22.4%). No washer/dryer, no generator. With that pin weight, my scaled weight of the trailer is 14,750, so 250 under trailer GVWR. I am right on the "legal" limits of my GMC Sierra SRW numbers.

Good luck and have fun!

//KMac

HelotesAg

I weighed my 310RL this summer and my pin weight was 3129 and the total trailer weight loaded was 14,669 (I Do have a generator). I'm currently pulling with a 2015 F250 and I'm over my rated limit. I have added Timbrens but I know I'm over weight by about 1600 lbs - which is why I ordered a 2023 F350 a few weeks ago. But, Michigander, if you're asking CAN your truck pull the trailer, I can tell you it will have absolutely NO problem. My F250 (6.7 diesel, short bed, crew cab, 4X4) has absolutely no problems. I don't have problems stopping it either, and it does not sag with the Timbrens. Hoping I don't get a lecture here - again, I know it, and I'm waiting on the new truck which I'm told has a 12,400 GVWR. Just wanted to share my experience since you asked. The current truck is 10K GVWR by the way.

michigander

I don't think we've ever stayed at Bewabic. Been to other campgrounds around that area, but not there. Ever make the trek over to Copper Peak? BTW, we live a 5 minute walk from Brimley State Park.
We haven't made it to Copper Peak. We'll have to look into it.

I've spent a little bit of time in the Brimley area. When I was a development engineer at FoMoCo we did testing at a couple of different test sites there along route 28.

BirchyBoy

I started with a F-350 CCSB gasser with a payload of 3,900. The 310RL is pin heavy; mine was around 3,300 or so without a generator W/D. Adding gas, a hitch and people and it was too much. I had a slider but changed to a PullRite SuperLite.

I went as far in the other direction as I could with a Denali DRW with a TrailerSaver BD5. More truck than I need but no need to get another truck.

michigander

Thanks again for the replies.

For those of you that reported pin weight, did you have a full water tank? Any other significant cargo?

I appreciate the comments of with/without generator and washer/dryer.

Thanks!

BirchyBoy

For those of you that reported pin weight, did you have a full water tank? Any other significant cargo?

Thanks!

We are weekend people for now so the tanks get emptied when we’re done. The two propane tanks are generally full and we have two standard batteries. We have a spare 20lb tank in the front compartment and maybe another 30lbs of stuff there. The main cargo area has maybe 150lbs of stuff.

kmac7800

Thanks!

When I did my weights, I found I put approximately 250lbs in the basement. And I carry about 20% fresh water (I have the See Level II installed). I had a B&W Companion Slider at the time, and had firewood in the bed. Not sure why my pin is so heavy unless the fresh water tank (or some of it) is fwd of the axles of the trailer.

Hope this helps.

//KMac

HelotesAg

@HelotesAg: How long did you pull the 310RL with your F250 before upgrading to a F350?
I pulled it from when I got the trailer in September of 2022 until the most recent trip in February of this year. I haven't pulled the trailer with the new truck yet - I haven't been able to find hitch rails yet for a 2023 (i didn't get the puck system b/c I have a B&W hitch that uses rails (Patriot). The truck always did fine (mentioned Timbrens in post above). 7300 miles overall.

Last edited:

treecatt

@HelotesAg: Thanks for your response. I had a B&W Turnoverball package installed in the truck and had the Reese Goosebox installed in place of the kingpin that came with the 310RL. Still waiting for the last slide cover to be installed before I drive off with it.

treecatt

Will be happy to. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Reese Goosebox works out. Various reviews on youtube have been very favorable (Big Truck RV and others). From what I understand, Lippert has put out that use of the Goosebox will not invalidate the warranty.

Coco

We have had the goose box for years on a previous toy hauler and 3500 dodge diesel. I absolutely loved it. Once you get the air set proper it doesn’t chuck it is smooth as glass for us. We recently purchased a 310 RL last month. And unfortunately, it did not swap over as Lippert changed to the rhino box bolt pattern so we had to buy another one. Luckily the dealership gave us our old one back and we sold it the hardest thing about it is you really need to people to hook up or an extra camera in the bed so you can see what you’re doing. I will say this I don’t think it is possible to pull away unhooked and drop your camper on your bed. I would buy this unit 100 times over not to mention I always have an empty bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk