• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Conduit and Solar System

CaptTPT

Considering The Alliance Delta 252RL. The solar package mounts a single 200 watt panel near the rear of the roof. The wiring penetrates the roof near the panel. It’s my understanding the wire enters a 1 1/2” ABS conduit at that site. Can anyone confirm that? If correct, where does that conduit terminate? I assume people are using this conduit for rewire to add panels. Correct? The factory tech rep indicated the existing wiring will tolerate 530 watts only, which means a rewire for panels of greater total wattage. Exactly where that conduits goes would be helpful to know.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hello @CaptTPT - to my knowledge, there is no 1.5" ABS conduit for the solar panel wiring in the Delta as there is in our other lines.

In the case of my Delta 262RB, I abandoned the solar cable entry port in place and ran my own wiring since I had planned to add 6 ea 200-watt panels. I ended up coming down the wall that divides the bathroom from the kitchen. I had to cut an access hold in the wall inside an upper cabinet, then I fished the wire down the rest of the wall, brought it out under the sink, down into the underbelly through an existing hole in the floor where plumbing and furnace ducting was, then forward to the pass-through bay where my gear is.

My solar panels installation: https://beletti.smugmug.com/RV/Alliance-RV/2024-Alliance-Delta-262RB/Power-System/Solar-Panels

CaptTPT

Of course the RB and the RL are completely different layouts so each will be their own adventure in finding a path for routing new wiring. Such a shame RV manufacturer don’t think of this. A few penny’s to place a conduit at build! Any ideas for placing/routing wiring in the RL?

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Any ideas for placing/routing wiring in the RL?

I can tell you what I’d likely do if I had a 252RL and if my MPPT was in the pass-through.

I’d run it down the wall behind the kitchen sink. Reasons:
1. I could cut an access panel in the wall of the upper cabinet near the ceiling
2. I could route the wires into the underbelly and forward to the pass-through by using the existing hole in the floor behind the water heater.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I can't speak to your case exactly, but generally speaking, interior walls are hollow with the exception of studs and at times, some horizontal blocking.

When I decided on using that space in my 262RB, I did a lot of measuring and some probing.

I measured carefully to know where on the roof, I would be penetrating in order to line up with the center of the wall.

I cut an access hole in the wall under the sink and used a fiberglass wire fishing rod to see how far I could get it up the wall. I got it all the way up, so that gave me confidence.

I then cut an access panel in the wall inside the upper cabinet. Then, using a long drill bit, I drilled a pilot hole up through the wall top plate and through the roof decking. Then from the top, I used a hole saw to core a hole through the roof deck and wall top plate and into the cavity.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Sure, that makes sense. Very straight forward. Thanks for your suggestions.
Sure thing. I'll try to get some additional pictures added to that gallery, showing tis wire path and what I did. That said, I've yet to cut a piece of paneling to cover my access hole. I'll get to that in time.