• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Can I plug a 30amp trailer into a 50 amp trailer plug-in ?

J. Thomas

We just sold our 310RL due to some health issues. We hope to get back into camping in a couple of years. Meanwhile, we have a spot for parking by our house, and have it wired for a 50 amp trailer plug. Some friends may come by for a few days and bring their travel trailer, which is set up with 30 amp, and has a 30 amp plug. Can we just plug that 30 amp plug into the 50 amp pedestal, using an adaptor. I happen to have an adaptor about 3' long that has a 50 amp male on one end and a 30 amp female on the other end. Will a 30 amp trailer handle this? Is it safe, or will it cause electrical problems? Thanks.

Whitewolf

When we used to have a 30a trailer, I carried a 50a to 30a adapter with us. The adapter blocks power from one leg of the 50 and lets power thru on the other leg. I've never seen and adapter cord that long, they're usually about 12". Nothing wrong with a longer one, just wondering if it was home made. I would suggest you plug it in and test the 30a end to make sure there's only voltage on 1 side.