• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Bathroom GFCI

Coco

We have been having a intermittent GFCI in the bathroom it’ll trip sometimes turn everything off or reset it’s all fine other times we will hear it pop and a couple seconds later it resets itself we’re thinking just to replace it. Anybody been having this issue in a 23, 310rl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanNJanice

Hmmm, so you have self resetting GFCI outlet? I didn't know they made those. On most of the ones I have seen you have to press the reset button.

GFCIs work by comparing the current between the hot and neutral legs, if the difference is greater than 0.005 (I think) amps, then the GFCI trips, because the missing current must be going through the ground circuit...which is bad.

Anyway, I think you are on the right track.
A lot of times one GFCI controls multiple outlets. Maybe test your outlets with the GFCI reset, then push the Test button and see which outlets turned off. If anything is plugged into these outlets, unplug it and see if the problem disappears.

If everything looks OK, then, like you said, try replacing it. I know from experience that these do fail from time to time. I just finished working on my Aunt's house because she had some outside outlets that didn't work. It turned out to be the GFCI.

RockDr896

My understanding, is that the GFCI's are tied to the DC side and the inverter. Items such as toasters and hair dryers can cause the inverter to start to shed loads in the priority wired. So if you are drying your hair and someone turns on the microwave, the GFCI's will shut off and the microwave will have priority to protect the inverter from overload. I tore apart my kitchen area GFCI's over this same issue. My GFCI tester was reading "reversed polarity" after using a toaster and then turning on the microwave. After microwave was done the tester suddenly read correct wiring. This will also occur when on shore power.

Explained by alliance here I think

DanNJanice

My understanding, is that the GFCI's are tied to the DC side and the inverter. Items such as toasters and hair dryers can cause the inverter to start to shed loads in the priority wired. So if you are drying your hair and someone turns on the microwave, the GFCI's will shut off and the microwave will have priority to protect the inverter from overload. I tore apart my kitchen area GFCI's over this same issue. My GFCI tester was reading "reversed polarity" after using a toaster and then turning on the microwave. After microwave was done the tester suddenly read correct wiring. This will also occur when on shore power.

Explained by alliance here I think
No, GFCIs are not tied to the DC side of the system. GFCIs are an outlet, or sometimes a circuit breaker, that is in the AC side of the system. The DC side of the trailer's system is protected by self resetting circuit breakers. There will also have a series of fuses inside the convertor enclosure. These fuses are not self resetting.

Inverters, on the other hand, convert 12VDC into 120VAC. Inverters may or may not have GFCI on the AC side. They will almost always have a very high current self resetting circuit breaker on their DC (input) side.

Normally, things like microwaves, air conditioners, electric heaters, etc are not connected to the inverter. This is because there is a 10:1 current ratio when using an inverter. For example, if your microwave draws 10amps from the 120VAC circuit it will draw 100amps from the DC circuit when connected through an inverter. This will very quickly draw down the batteries unless you spend many thousands on L-ion batteries and solar panels. For this reason, it is not recommended that you plug in anything with heating elements into an inverter. Examples are hair dryers, coffee makers, electric hot plates, curling irons, etc. You might be able to get away running some of these devices for short periods, but that is about it.

Last edited:

RockDr896

I have the solar plus package, so it seems I linked the wrong video. If you have solar panels then this is what I am referring to. I hope it helps.

Coco

Problem found current leakage from a old fan. The gfci was doing its job, but i still dont know why it did not fully trip? For good measure i just replaced any way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk