• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Back in the game

Bolo4u

Hello all, this is my first post here, and I'm looking for some first hand input. We are looking to get back into a 5th wheel, and I have generally narrowed it down to an Alliance, Grand Design, and Keystone manufacture. It is just three of us (me, wife and 13yo son), and we aren't wanting a bunkhouse style unit, so we'd be looking at a middle room option like the Alliance Paradigm 390MP (or possibly the 380MP - I know its newer), a Keystone Montana 3857BR, or GD Solitude 378MBS, or other models that are similar. We owned a Keystone Cougar several years ago, which we bought new, and eventually sold to a survivor of the 2018 Camp Fire in Paradise, CA. We had very few issues with the unit and the few issues we did have were easily resolved, and I don't recall having to have any warranty work performed.

While I know no manufacturer is immune from issues, I do my best to research before making a purchase, especially something at this level. I've read through several threads and posts here on different issues owners have encountered and their various outcomes. It's my understanding Alliance is a relatively new manufacturer, but evolved from those who were already in the industry. One of the factors in our decision is availability of dealers for service/repair. There are two where we now live in NW Montana, Blue Compass RV and Bish RV, and they also sell and service the other manufacturers mentioned.

Another factor is the ability to swap the pinbox to a Reese Goosebox hitch. I do know the Keystone and GD are compatible as they are Lippert built frames, however I can't seem to find a definitive answer as to whether the Alliance Paradigm is compatible since I can't find any info as to who builds their frames. As far as weights, I've researched weights and compatibility many times and am very familiar with limits etc., as I am a retired sergeant from the CHP.

The tow rig is already owned, as my retirement gift to myself was a 2019 Ram 3500 HO Limited, DRW, 4x4, Aisin with 4:10, and a payload capacity of about 5140 pounds. This is part of the reason for the Goosebox setup, as I already have the Ram 5th wheel prep kit, and it will be nice having a clean bed when pulling the ball after parking.

I'm looking for some honest feedback from those who have come from another brand, and what led you to choose an Alliance over others, mainly the other two I referenced. How much research did you do before finally deciding to go with an Alliance, and what made you choose them over the others. Did you leave the other brands and go to Alliance, and if so, do you have any regrets? Are you considering going back to the manufacturer you left and if so why might you be leaning that direction. I will say, I have seen a couple of threads where there is an Alliance Liaison who is working with the member, as well as one of the company VP's who has posted. You don't normally see that in any public forum, so that is encouraging.

If there is anything you feel you can offer that will help our decision one way or the other, your opinions and input will be greatly appreciated.

Mike in North Wales

Short post for now, but I'll be back-

Lippert builds the frames.

I recommend watching a few Josh the RV Nerd reviews on Youtube. He covers several floorplans, as well as an Alliance factory tour. He works for Bish's.

No-Ladder

Traded my Grand Design for a Alliance, I think the GD was put together better. I installed a reese goosebox on my Alliance Avenue it was a rhino box style. I think, but I am not sure all Alliance models are rhino box.

RockingRK

We full timed in our 2022 390MP for about 18 months. Yes, there were some problems and all of them were fixed by Alliance under warranty. We saw lots of other brands in the 18 states we visited and nearly everyone commented on how poor customer support was from those brands. Keystone and Forest River by far had the lowest quality and customer support (my opinion). Grand Design is the only other brand I would consider. BTW, we bought a house and the 390MP is in storage and for sale. If you are interested, drop a comment here and I'll be glad to give you more details on our unit. We are in Pensacola FL. We drove past the Bish location in Idaho Falls on our way to Yellowstone in July 2022. I would be glad to take another trip there and deliver the RV to you (after visiting Yellowstone again!)

Last edited:

RockingRK

Comment on fifth wheel hitch. I have a B&W Companion hitch and the fifth wheel prep package in my 2022 Silverado 3500 HD. The hitch comes apart in two pieces which each weigh about 70 lbs. Takes me 5 minutes to remove from the bed and the same amount of time to put it back in. I am one who has a strong preference for fifth wheel hitch over a goosebox. Our 390MP has a Reese Rotoflex which can be replace by whatever pin box you want. Frame is Lippert.

Bolo4u

Thank you all for the replies. We're still researching our options. As far as the BW Companion, for the prep kit is concerned. The Ram trucks have a larger overall spacing for their 5th wheel prep kit and the pucks. We did have a BW companion for our prior 5th wheel and 2018 Ram 3500 with the pope kit. Yes the head is generally about 70 pounds, but the base for the Ram setup is about 130 pounds, and since it larger overall, its not easy to comfortably lift and install/remove. I ended up using my tractor to perform this task. Thanks why I'm looking to go the Goosebox setup.

madweazl

Thank you all for the replies. We're still researching our options. As far as the BW Companion, for the prep kit is concerned. The Ram trucks have a larger overall spacing for their 5th wheel prep kit and the pucks. We did have a BW companion for our prior 5th wheel and 2018 Ram 3500 with the pope kit. Yes the head is generally about 70 pounds, but the base for the Ram setup is about 130 pounds, and since it larger overall, its not easy to comfortably lift and install/remove. I ended up using my tractor to perform this task. Thanks why I'm looking to go the Goosebox setup.

We checked out the Montana 3857BR and North Point 377RLBH and both had dismal kitchen counter and cabinet space. The Paradigm looks to be much better in this area but we haven't seen one in person yet (hopefully this weekend). As for the Goosebox, they're fantastic. I've been towing with one the last year and a half (approx 4000 miles) and I just wouldn't use anything else at this point. They're absolutely silent; no chucking, no squeaks, no nothing. They shave a bit of weight from your vehicles and it's so nice to have the bed of your truck when you disconnect.