• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Avenue solar pre wire

TJJ

I see my coach is wired with 8awg solar wires and mc4’s on the roof.How would I transition to the 10 awg mc 4 connectors on the panels?Pull out the connectors and splice with step down butts or splice new mc4 8 gauge on the panels? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Gord&Cindy

I might be wrong but aren't all MC4 connectors compatible regardless of the wire size? So an MC4 connector with #8 wire should plug into an MC4 connector with #10, that's why it's called MC4 the 4 means 4mm.

TJJ

I just went up on the roof and indeed they are 10 gauge into the connectors.Why then would there be 8 gauge pigtails in the front storage?It’s no big deal as these will be routed to the disconnect breaker anyway. Thanks!

Gord&Cindy

I'm just guessing but I'd say the 8 gauge would be used because it offers less voltage drop and therefore would make the solar setup more efficient. That's not such a big deal if you use higher voltages but if you are running your panels in parallel and they are not high-voltage panels the 8 gauge is a better way to go.

bhidalgo

I just bought 6 awg cable to swap out the 10 awg already in-place for a x3 320 watt panel configuration we are upgrading to. Have a factory-installed 320 watt panel already on rig. Adding 2 more and all will be parallel.

Last edited:

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I just went up on the roof and indeed they are 10 gauge into the connectors.Why then would there be 8 gauge pigtails in the front storage?It’s no big deal as these will be routed to the disconnect breaker anyway. Thanks!
My guess is that the cable entry plate we use on our solar prep, have the MC4s on it with a pre-wired pigtail that we splice into our run, in the ceiling just below the cable entry port. It's there at that in-ceiling splice where the wire size transition is made. This is my guess.