• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Avenue 32RLS - Will I need a sliding hitch?

RichieW13

I have a Ram 2500 with a "short" bed, which is 6'5". I've never towed a 5th wheel before. Will I need a sliding hitch with this setup?

MikeLindaTarach

Hi Richie - I have a Ram 2500 with the short bed. Had the Pull-Rite SuperGlide installed by the dealer. You need either a manual or auto sliding hitch with the short bed. I didn't feel like getting out of the truck to engage the slide so went with the auto. Have had no issues with it pulling our 30RLS.

GriffLab

Hello Richie. Ram 3500 standard/short bed with a 310RL. We had a B&W Patriot slider which was a great hitch. But it is large and very heavy. We recently switched to a Curt Crosswing mounted to the goose ball. It tows great and has an almost 9 inch rearward offset, so cab/nose clearance isn't an issue. The Curt takes up less room in the bed and installs/removes in 10 or so minutes. And best of all weighs 60 lbs vs 220!

RichieW13

Hello Richie. Ram 3500 standard/short bed with a 310RL. We had a B&W Patriot slider which was a great hitch. But it is large and very heavy. We recently switched to a Curt Crosswing mounted to the goose ball. It tows great and has an almost 9 inch rearward offset, so cab/nose clearance isn't an issue. The Curt takes up less room in the bed and installs/removes in 10 or so minutes. And best of all weighs 60 lbs vs 220!
Yeah, that looks like the way to go. In fact, is there any downside to that style?

Two on the road

Hello Richie, I drive a 3500 chevy with a standard bed. I use the B&W slider pulling a 340RL and No problems. I also replaced the pin box with a Geney. That really made a difference in the way the trailer rides.

DanNJanice

I have an Andersen Ultimate hitch on my 32RLS. It works great. I have never had to jackknife the trailer, but I bet I could get close. Best thing is 10 minutes to install/remove and only 40lbs.

JWalker

We also have an Avenue 30RLS. We were researching a new to vehicle purchase over the last few months. It was down to a GMC or Ram. With the ram 6‘4“ box, I would definitely consider a slide or hitch of some sort.

Brucebulluck

I have a Ram 2500 with a "short" bed, which is 6'5". I've never towed a 5th wheel before. Will I need a sliding hitch with this setup?
If you have a fairly recent fifth wheel then no. The old ones had a really square nose cone and you needed a slider or long bed. You should be just fine.

CharlieO

If you have a fairly recent fifth wheel then no. The old ones had a really square nose cone and you needed a slider or long bed. You should be just fine.
I have a 2022 Alliance Avenue 30RLS and yes you will need a slider or the Reese Sidewinder pin box. My truck is currently in the body shop being repaired.

Corndog

Richie, I too have a Ram 2500 and first time 5th wheel for me too. 2017 for me. My truck does not have the puck system so they did the goose-neck addition (frame install hardware) first and we went with the B&W Companion manual slider. My dealer mistakenly installed a standard hitch first and I tried it in the parking lot. Not bad BUT if you get into a tight spot be careful! I insisted on the slider and they made it right. The slider works great and I don't have to worry getting into my driveway...it's tight. Regardless of the brand you choose, slide well my brother...and BTW..Dan Marino was one of the best behind Staubach.

Attachments

• 5th hitch.jpg
    5th hitch.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 9

Turfengineer

I am using a Reese Goosebox and B&W 4” offset ball. Works great for me.

Attachments

• IMG_1323.jpeg
    IMG_1323.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 16

Donzi98

I agree with Bruce. You will not need the slider. I own a 2016 2500 Ram with the “short” box. I bought the B & W Patriot slider. I found out that I cannot use the slide function as it positions the trailer pin too close to the tailgate. However, I have watched very close ( of course!) and now believe I do not need the slider.

Good luck and safe towing.
Dave