• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

ATS input preference?

Gord&Cindy

Does anyone know if the Automatic Transfer switch has an input preference?
If, for example, I have the generator running and I plug in the shore power, will the ATS switch to the shore power or will it stay on the generator?

BryanValRox

Does anyone know if the Automatic Transfer switch has an input preference?
If, for example, I have the generator running and I plug in the shore power, will the ATS switch to the shore power or will it stay on the generator?
Hi folks, they normally do have a preference.
Not sure what Brand or Model you might have, but the resource section of this forum has some info on a transfer switch that is common to our coaches.
I hesitate to give you a direct answer, without knowing make /model and configuration.(ours is generator dominate)
Best regards!

Last edited:

Gord&Cindy

My apologies I was lazy and hoped the answer would be simple, silly me.
I went out to the trailer looked at the transfer switch and discovered it's a Progressive Dynamics PD52.
I then did some googling and found the information on the Progressive Dynamics website.
In the installation and operations guide specifications, it states the "Dominant Source" is "Generator".
I've confirmed this with a little testing.

It seems if I have the generator running and plug into shore power it does not switch to shore power.
If I don't have the generator running and I am plugged into shore power it uses the shore power.
If I then start the generator it will switch, after a short pause, to the generator.

This is all well and good but I would rather have it favour the shore power.
Do you think it would be as simple as swapping the generator and shore power inputs at the ATS? Do you think that would cause any problems (besides the labeling being wrong)?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Do you think it would be as simple as swapping the generator and shore power inputs at the ATS? Do you think that would cause any problems (besides the labeling being wrong)?
Way too much $$$ on the line here. I would highly recommend you call/email Progressive Dynamics and get the answer from the MFG. (y)

Gord&Cindy

Just to put some closure to this, I emailed Progressive Dynamics, and they replied quite quickly, with the following:

"You can switch the shoreline and the generator inputs to the opposite contactor and that will make the shoreline priority.
Just note, The generator will not power the RV unless the shoreline has no power."

Hope this helps someone.

Gord

2 Allies

I think the switches are designed to favor generator power for the test run periods that you perform.

Hope this helps.

Gord&Cindy

I'm thinking of swapping it mostly because it seems wrong. In my experience, the shore power (or in the case of a structure, the commercial power) is always the highest priority and the source will only switch to generator if the commercial power fails.

As far as test running the generator goes, I believe it would be simple enough to turn off or disconnect from shore power during the test. Again, in other installations that is how the test is done, disconnect the commercial power and watch the generator take over. I know this is also to test the auto-start of the generator, but I still don't understand the reason for having the generator as the higher priority source.

In the final analysis, it really doesn't matter, it's just me been pedantic. LOL

Mike in North Wales

If you switch it, each time you unplug the cord the transfer switch will revert back to generator. When you plug in, it may delay, then switch to shore power. If you leave it the way it is, plugging and unplugging is a seamless transition. So if you look at it that way, right now shore power is the primary source, as the transfer switch has to change state for generator.

Edit: shore power is 50A, genset is 30A. Verify the capacity of the contactors in the transfer switch in both states. Make sure the current genset position is capable of 50A.

Last edited: