• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

310RL - Turning BR closet into Office

KevinL

I am looking at a 310RL for our next trailer. We find it checks majority of boxes are looking for taking long trips, other than finding me an office spot for full-time remote consulting work, which requires several computers, monitor(s) and desk. I’m trying to figure out if can turn the bedroom closet into my “cozy” office space. It looks possible, but have some questions, if anyone can shed some light.

Plan would be to put monitor(s) in front of the closet center cabinets, with small desk. To make a little more room for an ergonomic office chair and my feet, it looks like I might need to take out the closet raised platform that sits in front of the wall cabinets. I’ve watched some plant tour videos and seen some shots of the closet under construction. It looks like the BR floor is flat all the way to the front cap cabinetry but can’t quite tell for sure. Are there any aluminum framing or beams in that floor space under that raised platform that would make it unusable for chair floor space? Is the floor finished under the platform, or is it raw decking?

If anyone has a 310RL with a king bed and a tape measure, I’d love to know a few dimensions:
Distance between edge of bed and front edge of the closet base platform.
Distance from bed platform and front edge of the closet base platform.
Depth of closet base platform, to front edge of wall cabinet.
Height from the bedroom floor to where the curved top starts curving back.

I would love to take out the center cabinets to get maximum depth for space, but from what I’ve seen in the plant demo videos there is an aluminum frame right behind the face of the cabinet front face, with a cross beam right between the 3 section shelf and the curved horizontal top cabinet nook. So, looks like will need to maximize space in front of the existing cabinets. And yes, I have considered the dinette space for the office, but that won’t work for us. My wife will want to use that table space. Plus while I’m working during the day in the Bedroom, she can live in the main area without being worried about disturbing me. I know Alliance the 390MP with the mid-office space would be perfect, but we don’t want a 42’ trailer. Are looking to keep under 35’ for more camping spot options, especially in national/state parks.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi @KevinL and welcome to the forum.

Some feedback...

Yes, the closet floor is flat to the bedroom floor but it may not be flat all the way to the front cap. In my 340, there's a platform on the left and right sides for my washer dryer.

I believe that there is no framing pieces under the raised platforms. But to be sure, I'd like you to give our office a call at 574-226-0140, then ask for Paradigm sales. They can go out to the plan to confirm.

BirchyBoy

Kudos to you for taking this on. How much equipment do you have? I’ve thought that a small desk beside the closet door, where the sitting spot is, might work if it is collapsible.

We have a 310RL but are considering a 36V11 so I can have an office…and a patio. I wish there was a Valor that size with a side door instead of the rear door.

KevinL

Will definitely need to make some adjustments for RV to shrink my current 10'x10' home-office, but still do need a decent amount of space. Currently need to have 3 different client-supplied laptops running that I switch between (have to be separate for security/VPN requirements), so will need some space to have those docked. Currently have connected to dual 27" 16:9 side-by-side monitors, but that could change to a single monitor that is larger and more square/tall instead of wide and angled, Full-size ergonomic keyboard and mouse space, and enough room for a notepad to write. Given long days, do need space for a decent ergonomic chair and vertical space for sit/stand desk. As I've mocked it up need a bare minimum of a 4'x4' space with some side shelving nearby to dock laptops. If took the dresser out at foot of bed, might work. How much space do you think there is between foot of the bed and the side wall where dresser is?

BirchyBoy

The 36V11 is out due to price increases.

I’ve seen where at least one person has extended the dresser top across and to the closet, which I may try. I may have to remove the little bench there but I hope to keep it. I’ll probably mount a single large monitor on the wall to free up space.

What I’d consider doing in your situation is placing all of the laptops in the closet and use a nice KVM switch to control them. I may put mine in the closet as well and add some connections in the wall to neaten things up.