• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

2022 Alliance Avenue electrical problem

Jmos99

I’m having an electric problem and was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem. Dropped Avenue at covered storage equipped with 110 volt recepticals. I hook ext cord to adapter plug and immediately trips GFI plug at storage facility. Turned all breakers off battery off and still trips GFI plug when I plug in. Avenue is equipped with factory solar. I also tried different plugs at storage facility on different circuit with the same outcome. Any ideas?

BryanValRox

I’m having an electric problem and was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem. Dropped Avenue at covered storage equipped with 110 volt recepticals. I hook ext cord to adapter plug and immediately trips GFI plug at storage facility. Turned all breakers off battery off and still trips GFI plug when I plug in. Avenue is equipped with factory solar. I also tried different plugs at storage facility on different circuit with the same outcome. Any ideas?
Hi folks, welcome to the forum! I am sorry your experiencing this issue. You indicated that you have turned off all breakers and the battery disconnect as well and are still having the issue.

I have to wonder, what if you leave the shore power connection unplugged from the coach. This experiment would help to narrow down if the issue lies within the coach(hooked up) or the cord and adapters(unhooked).

If you still experience the issue with the shore power cord unhooked from the coach but plugged into the source outlet, it would support you have an issue with your cord or adapters, or the source outlet(less likely). If you don’t experience the issue unplugged, it would support your issue lies within the coach.

If this is the case and you have turned all of the breakers off and still have the issue. It would be wise to inspect the connections from the coach plug to the fuse panel for issues.
Hope this helps some.
Best regards!

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi @Jmos99 - As you've isolated all AC outlets by turning all breakers off, this is a pretty curious issue.

There's not much left to check. There's:
  1. Your extension cord
  2. Your adapter plug
  3. The power inlet on your Avenue
  4. The wire from the back of the inlet to the 50A breaker in the Avenue breaker panel
I would suspect items 1 through 3 in that order. As @BryanValRox suggests, check your cord and adapter and trying replacements is a good first step.

Consider the steps below, only if you are very comfortable with working with electrical components.

It that's not it, with the power disconnected, remove your shore power inlet from the sidewall. Once you have the 4 screws removed, the inlet should be able to be pulled outward. You may have to cut some sealant around the inlet if used. Once you have the inlet pulled out, carefully unscrew the rear cap (if so equipped) to expose the 4 wire connections there. Once exposed, look very closely at all 4 wire connections. Your looking for:
- Stray wire strands not secured under the fastener
- Check the lugs/screws that hold the conductors in place to ensure they're very tight
If the inlet checks out okay, the next step might be the connections of the shore input in your AC breaker panel. To inspect this, you'll need to remove the front cover from your AC breaker panel. When the panel is removed and you can now clearly see your breakers and all the wires:
  • Look for the double-pole 50A breaker (often in the center of all breakers). This is your main breaker. Typically, there's a red and black wire (phase 1 and phase 2) where one of these phases is connected to the bottom of one side (left or right) of the 50A double-pole breaker and the other phase is connected to the bottom of the breaker on the other side (left or right). Check those connections for tightness. They should be very tight, fully seated and no stray wire strands not secured.
  • Carefully look for the Neutral (white) and Ground (bare copper) wires that were part of the 4-wire bundle that also contained the 2 hot phases (red/black). The Neutral wire will be thick (6 AWG) like the red/black wires are. It should be secured to a metal screw bus bar with other white neutral wires from your branch circuits. Check the screw that holds the neutral in place (#2 square bit is best). The screw should be tight and there should be no stray wire strands. Then look for the bare copper ground wire. Likewise, it should be secured to a metal screw bus bar. That bar will have other bare copper ground wires from your branch circuits. Check the screw that holds the ground in place (#2 square bit is best). The screw should be tight. If you're unsure which ground wire to check for, it's okay to tighten them up. I prefer to use a #2 screw bit on a hand driver vs an impact tool.
Another idea and maybe try this first - test the GFCI outlet at your storage spot. It could be defective as it does happen. You can test it by trying a few things on that outlet:
- GFCI Outlet Tester Lowes link / Amazon Link
- Drill
- Hair Dryer