• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Winterizing the Plumbing System on Alliance RVs

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Alliance has produced a Quick Winterize Guide for the plumbing system on Alliance RVs. This guide is in the Resource area of the forum. Follow this link to that article.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Below are a few additional tips to make this a success:
  • Use a short hose (4-5 feet) to draw the winterizing solution in.
  • Set the winterizing solution at a similar height or above the water panel so that the pump is pulling it as horizontal as possible rather than trying to pull the fluid up from the ground.
  • It can take a couple minutes to prime the water pump and have it start pulling the winterizing solution.
  • Make sure the screen in your city water connection is clean of debris.
  • It can take up to 4-5+ gallons of winterizing solution to complete the process (every floorplan will be different).
  • Make sure the dials on the water panel are properly set to "Winterize" and water pump is turned on when trying to pull in the winterizing solution.

Last edited:
Alliance has produced a Quick Winterize Guide for the plumbing system on Alliance RVs. This guide is in the Resource area of the forum. Follow this link to that article.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Below are a few additional tips to make this a success:
  • Use a short hose (4-5 feet) to draw the winterizing solution in.
  • Set the winterizing solution at a similar height or above the water panel so that the pump is pulling it as horizontal as possible rather than trying to pull the fluid up from the ground.
  • It can take a couple minutes to prime the water pump and have it start pulling the winterizing solution.
  • Make sure the screen in your city water connection is clean of debris.
  • It can take up to 4-5+ gallons of winterizing solution to complete the process (every floorplan will be different).
  • Make sure the dials on the water panel are properly set to "Winterize" and water pump is turned on when trying to pull in the winterizing solution.
Thank you for this article. We will be winterizing this weekend and hoping all goes well.

mhawrysko

BIll Martin shared this winterize guide from Alliance (attached). We also pack all gaps to the inside of coach to the living area with extra fine steel wool. Areas like plumbing inlets, wire pass throughs, etc. Don't forget Fresh Cab (or similar product) and cotton balls soaked with Peppermint Oil Extract to help keep those little critters away!!

Attachments

• Quick Winterize Guide 9.30.21.pdf
    3.7 MB · Views: 135

Mkstn1400

We will be storing our unit for the winter and will have 50amp hooked up and set the furnace to 50-55 degrees. If we drain the water and leave the low point drains open is it necessary to add antifreeze to the lines?

mhawrysko

We will be storing our unit for the winter and will have 50amp hooked up and set the furnace to 50-55 degrees. If we drain the water and leave the low point drains open is it necessary to add antifreeze to the lines?
My opinion only, not knowing your climate, I would winterize the lines with antifreeze because, what if; you run out of propane, what if electric goes out for several days and your battery drains?

Tim K

What about the black tank flush line? Does this line need to have antifreeze run thru it? If so, how?

mhawrysko

how many gallons did you end up using...I know 4-5 gallons potentially. Also, thoughts on brand(s)? ethanol vs glycol-based? 40v13 owner. Thanks
We used 4 gallons total, whatever RV antifreeze is on sale at Menard's that is safe for water systems. We are very generous pouring down the drains and toilet though. I think the faucets took 2-1/2 gallon (310RL - kitchen, bathroom sink, shower, toilet, door side water hose outlet, Nautilus water hose outlet). It was difficult to get the system to take in the antifreeze, I had to hold the gallon jug about chest high to get it to siphon properly. We go in mid-winter and top off the drains and toilet bowl and will use another gallon then. Hope this helps.

mhawrysko

What about the black tank flush line? Does this line need to have antifreeze run thru it? If so, how?
We blow out the black tank flush line for a couple of seconds, we never have put antifreeze in the black flush line in any of our other rigs. If you want to do it, get a mini water pump that runs off a power drill and siphon it in that way. Always better safe than sorry, right?

Curtis

I thought I would add a note to winterise the ice maker and get your approval. As a note
I also have a valve for the ice maker behind the panel in the bottom cabinet next to the refrigerator. This valve was installed by my dealer when they connected the ice maker. I did not close this valve to winterise.

To winterise I like blowing out the water from all my lines before I pump antifreeze. The first line I blow out is the line to the ice maker. I disconnected the flexible hose under the kitchen slide, after I turned off the water to the rv. I removed the rubber seal from the hose and blew out the water and let the water drain back from the ice maker. (Remove seal before you blow out the line to prevent losing seal). I then turned off the air and reconnected the line with the seal. To make sure all water is out of the line to the ice maker I then reconnected the air at a low pressure (25 to 30 pounds) and pressed the reset button on the bottom left corner of the ice maker to cycle the ice maker to blow out any remaing water. I then closed the valve under the sink. I do this so you do not pump antifreeze to the ice maker. Once ice maker is isolated I continue blowing out all other lines. After lines are blown out, I drain the hot water tank and then change the valving in the nautilus and pump antifreeze. Hope this helps and please let me know if you would add anything else. Or have other suggestions.
Thanks,
Curtis

Grassjohn

When you have the system pressurized with anti-freeze, hook a quick connect hose to the faucet at the top of the water panel, and connect the other end of the hose to the black tank rinse. Turn on for a few seconds and you’re done.

Don’t forget the spray port - 😉

Curtis

When you have the system pressurized with anti-freeze, hook a quick connect hose to the faucet at the top of the water panel, and connect the other end of the hose to the black tank rinse. Turn on for a few seconds and you’re done.

Don’t forget the spray port - 😉
Yes, great idea. I have only used air to blow out the black tank rinse line. I will do this next time.

tomhank

There are two ways to winterize a water system: antifreeze and air compressor. I usually winterize RV with air compressor.

FORD350R

I would leave the faucets open I've found the anti freeze will at least get up in really low temps. I blow the lines out leave the low area drains open and pour the pee traps with a gallon or so of anti freeze in each waste tank. Never leave an area that can't expand

Shelly S

I did not see a bypass valve on the 41v15 to bypass the water heater. Does anyone know if there is one? Water heater is full of anti freeze this time. 😉

Ron C

This is my first experience with a tankless water heater and could use some help. Does it need to be winterized or just have the water drained? If it needs winterized how do I do this?

Grassjohn

There is a specific procedure, if you don’t have it, look for it on the manufacturer’s website. I did one for a friend who had his manual and it was simple - I just don’t recall the details.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
This is my first experience with a tankless water heater and could use some help. Does it need to be winterized or just have the water drained? If it needs winterized how do I do this?
Do you have the Furrion or Suburban tankless?

Here's the manual for the Furrion. See page 14 on winterization of that unit.

If you have the Suburban tankless, which model is it? Here's the manual for the Nautilus model.

Last edited:

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I did not see a bypass valve on the 41v15 to bypass the water heater. Does anyone know if there is one? Water heater is full of anti freeze this time. 😉
Do you have a tank-style water heater? Here's a link to the P4 Nautilus Water Panel we generally use. I believe to bypass the water heater, the Red handle is turned sideways. See this on page 4.