• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Towing an Avenue 30rls

Guidotheguide

Hey folks, I'm considering an Avenue 30rls and towing with any 2500 HD truck, (not looking to start a vigorous discussion on which is the best brand.)

Does anyone have real life experience with the fuel mileage (gas and Diesel) on a 2500 while towing and not towing?

Thanks,
Guido

JWalker

If you have not purchased a truck yet, considering purchasing a 3500/350 SRW. For the additional $1000–$1500 increase, you get quite a bit more payloaded capacity.
30rls could possibly have up to a 2500 pound pin weight. And depending on the configuration of the 2500/250, it could be pushing the payload limit when you add passengers, fuel, firewood, hitch etc.
I was looking at a 2022 – Ram 2500 a few weeks ago. The way it had its options configured, it only had a 2160 pounds payload capacity.
When we look to trade in an pour DRW, we will be looking at a 3500/350 SRW

Guidotheguide

If you have not purchased a truck yet, considering purchasing a 3500/350 SRW. For the additional $1000–$1500 increase, you get quite a bit more payloaded capacity.
30rls could possibly have up to a 2500 pound pin weight. And depending on the configuration of the 2500/250, it could be pushing the payload limit when you add passengers, fuel, firewood, hitch etc.
I was looking at a 2022 – Ram 2500 a few weeks ago. The way it had its options configured, it only had a 2160 pounds payload capacity.
When we look to trade in an pour DRW, we will be looking at a 3500/350 SRW
I've been considering doing that, I just haven't researched the 3500s that much.

I understand what your saying about payload, that seems to be the one real negative on the 2500s, and a number that a lot of people don't take into consideration; it depends on how many extra gadgets and stuff you want or need to carry in the truck. Just because you can tow it, doesn't mean you should.

Are you looking at gas or diesel?

I can't seem to find much real world data on the fuel economy of either the 2500 or 3500. The only thing I found was on a site called Fuelly, which gathered info from real drivers and their averages. It seems that the 2500 got an avg of 12 mpg gas, and around 15 mpg diesel. The 3500 got 13 average mpg diesel, of course, these are not towing numbers.

Some might say that if you're worried about gas mileage, you shouldn't be RVing; me, I want every advantage I can get.

I'm kind of a research geek anyway; I like to know as much as is reasonable about something before I invest a ton of time and money.

Last edited:

JWalker

Diesel.
3500 Ram w/Cummins/Aisin. Or
3500 GMC w/Duramax/Allison.

But would imagine any of the gas motors offered in the HDs would be enough.

JWalker

I have about 1300 miles towing the 30 RLS so far. With a 2016 Ram Cummins crew cab Dually. It is geared with a 4:10 ratio for our last trailer which was a lot heavier. 75% of miles have been mainly mountain-ish. Averaging just slightly above 11 mpg.

JWalker

It is a 3500 Dually
14,000 GVRW
9200 truck weight empty
=4800 payload capacity

I’m guessing the Avenue pin weight is around 2200 pounds now. So about 2600 pounds payload left over

Guidotheguide

That's a nice cushion.

How is your ability to get into parks, parking, and driving through small towns with that size of pickup. In other words, what are the disadvantages of thathat size.

The reason I'm asking is that I've heard that some parks won't let you in with a truck that size.

JWalker

We’ve been into hundreds of parks. Never heard anyone say anything about size of truck.
When our daughter went to college. We decided to downsize from our 42’ bunkhouse to our Avenue 30 RLS. 34’ with the intention of downsizing our truck with an 8’ bed to one with a standard/short bed.

You can get payloaded on some of the 3500 single rear wheels @ 3500 pounds and up.

Guidotheguide

We’ve been into hundreds of parks. Never heard anyone say anything about size of truck.
When our daughter went to college. We decided to downsize from our 42’ bunkhouse to our Avenue 30 RLS. 34’ with the intention of downsizing our truck with an 8’ bed to one with a standard/short bed.

You can get payloaded on some of the 3500 single rear wheels @ 3500 pounds and up.
What trim do you have, LT, LTZ, etc.

JWalker

Tradesmen trim level.

Attachments

• 8F0ACE6A-4876-4D6B-A184-B2622F4B20EE.jpeg
    8F0ACE6A-4876-4D6B-A184-B2622F4B20EE.jpeg
    382.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 8A4EE9C9-DB69-439D-A3A4-5E725072776B.jpeg
    8A4EE9C9-DB69-439D-A3A4-5E725072776B.jpeg
    756.2 KB · Views: 16

JWalker

Do not need and will not pay for all the bells and whistles. I only put on 5-6k miles a year. Just pretty much only used to tow the trailer. It has all we need to tow great and drive comfortably.

JWalker

We have had very good luck with Ram for the last 15 years. No complaints. Price was right and they are towing beasts.
That being said. You will not have any issues with any of the Big 3. All very nice and extremely capable of towing an Avenue.
Just watch your payload capacity if you go with a 2500/250. That is the area that can be close.

Guidotheguide

We have had very good luck with Ram for the last 15 years. No complaints. Price was right and they are towing beasts.
That being said. You will not have any issues with any of the Big 3. All very nice and extremely capable of towing an Avenue.
Just watch your payload capacity if you go with a 2500/250. That is the area that can be close.
I found out about payload the hard way in my last truck.

Good to hear on the Ram. My last Ram is still running after 25 years, with a new owner. I will be moving up from a pre Covid, 2020 Silverado 1500.

Thanks for all of your help.

Whitewolf

I have a '21 Ram 3500 Cummins diesel. I get an average of 21 to 23 not towing and 10 to 11 towing. My neighbor just bought a '22 Ram 2500 with the same engine. We'll be able to tow close to the same numbers (different trim levels). The difference is I'll be able to put about 1000 lbs more in the bed.

Guidotheguide

I have a '21 Ram 3500 Cummins diesel. I get an average of 21 to 23 not towing and 10 to 11 towing. My neighbor just bought a '22 Ram 2500 with the same engine. We'll be able to tow close to the same numbers (different trim levels). The difference is I'll be able to put about 1000 lbs more in the bed.
How's the cost of Diesel affecting you and your trips etc?

What trim did you get and did you just go with what came with that trim or did you get more options.

Any options that you got that you wish you hadn't have and vice-versa?

What was your available payload when you got the truck? What is it now?

Did your truck come with the 5th wheel hitch pkg?

Are you at 20% pin weight?

I apologize for all the questions. I like to have all the info I can before I commit to something, or as my girlfriend says, "before I'm committed!"

Thanks.