• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Topper for trifold sofas?

TG74

Do any of you have recommendations for a "mattress topper" that works well on the tri-fold sofas and does not take too much space when storing it?

bhidalgo

TG74 - We got a double bed-sized 2" memory foam topper which we put on top of a twin-sized 3" memory foam. We put the 3" piece down first to try and even things out where the seat cushions would normally be. Then lay the 2" piece over the entire "bed". Seems to work ok according to our daughter and granddaughter. We store all the foam in our storage area under our bed. Really wish someone would come up with a better idea for the trifold mattress area. That gap you get when the seat cushions are removed and the bed is folded out is a bugger to try and make comfortable to sleep on. Just my two cents...Bill

Upvote 0

TG74

Thanks, Bill! We used a memory foam topper when our daughter stayed with us, and she said it was comfortable that way. Once we moved in full-time, though, any storage space where it could fit is already in use. It was just a bit too bulky to fit inside the couch when it's put away. I might try to find a thin air mattress that we can deflate and store away more easily. I agree with you - if it wasn't for the surface being so uneven, this wouldn't be such a problem.

Upvote 0
Shopping now for 340rl, we figured out fast NO ONE is going to sleep on that trifold and be happy in the morning.....LOL.
I think one alternative is to replace it with a hide-a-bed, which is very convenient when camping, leave all made up with sheets and maybe a blanket when it is closed up. Open it and ready to sleep, no making the bed. Not sure if a hide-a-bed can get in the door, maybe have to take the hide-a-bed apart a little.

Upvote 0

bhidalgo

We have identified a queen-sized sofa bed at a local furniture store that fits the same area as the fold-out couch in our 310RL. The only real issue is the price - roughly $3k. It folds out into two side-by-side twin bed mattresses which works out great for where the loveseat is. The new sofa will have to be taken apart somewhat to get it through the door. But I love a challenge so who knows what will end up happening.

Upvote 0

TG74

We have identified a queen-sized sofa bed at a local furniture store that fits the same area as the fold-out couch in our 310RL. The only real issue is the price - roughly $3k. It folds out into two side-by-side twin bed mattresses which works out great for where the loveseat is. The new sofa will have to be taken apart somewhat to get it through the door. But I love a challenge so who knows what will end up happening.
Best of luck! :)

Upvote 0

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Do any of you have recommendations for a "mattress topper" that works well on the tri-fold sofas and does not take too much space when storing it?
Forget trying to make that pull-out comfortable. We have an "Aero Bed" and it is simply amazing. Don't think of your air mattress growing up...these new air mattresses are outstanding. We pack it under the couch and when needed it just get put in front of the couch. Trust me...your guests will be floored (no pun intended) on the comfort these provide.

Upvote 0

TG74

Forget trying to make that pull-out comfortable. We have an "Aero Bed" and it is simply amazing. Don't think of your air mattress growing up...these new air mattresses are outstanding. We pack it under the couch and when needed it just get put in front of the couch. Trust me...your guests will be floored (no pun intended) on the comfort these provide.

Thanks for the link! We have been using a nice Coleman air mattress when our kids visit, and they say it’s more comfortable than the pull-out with a foam topper. I like the one you recommended, though. We may upgrade to that one!

Upvote 0