• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Tire stem post opening size

CornCrib

What is the size of the tire post opening in the 32RLS wheels? I’m getting the Ford customer placed trailer TPMS system and heard the stem size of the Ford TPMS is smaller than the opening on some trailers (Valor) and after market stems may be needed.

Has anyone found a remedy for this? Ram OEM TPMS does not fit the Sumec trailer wheel valve stem opening as well. Hoping to find an aftermarket valve stem replacement for the OEM sensor.

kmac7800

The stems for 16" is larger tires are usually .625". I have purchased the Nicholas Manufacturing stems for my GM related TPMS sensors, however I found out that the PSI for these sensors only goes up to 100PSI, whereas most people run 110PSI in 16" tires.

I have not yet found trailer based TPMS sensors (they need to be able send a stronger signal than a standard TPMS sensor) that are built for larger tires yet.

Good luck and have fun!

//KMac

Shelly S

I also have a 2020 gmc. 4 sensors came with my truck and I ordered 2 more so I will have the 6 needed for our valor.
My question is do you think it is better to have the Rv dealer install the sensors or a tire place?

CharlieO

I had Les Schwab install mine. However as I stated, if you have 16" tires (which I believe you do), you will need to upgrade the stems from Nicholas Manufacturing, and then those TPMS sensors only read up to 100PSI and I believe your 16" tires are inflated to 110PSI.

Good luck and have fun!

//KMac
Which Les Schwab? The one at Queensgate did not have a jack to reach the main beam lifting point.

kmac7800

I use the one on Tapteal Drive across the street from Kohl's. They do all kinds of trailer work from RVs to Semi-trailers.

//KMac

Shelly S

I had Les Schwab install mine. However as I stated, if you have 16" tires (which I believe you do), you will need to upgrade the stems from Nicholas Manufacturing, and then those TPMS sensors only read up to 100PSI and I believe your 16" tires are inflated to 110PSI.

Good luck and have fun!

//KMac
Thanks for the great link to Nichols mfg. I do have 16” tires and they do go to 110. Does anyone out there know of a sensor that will read up to 110psi and tie into the gmc infotainment center for monitoring?

kmac7800

@Shelly S, I have been watching these as I hope they will work for us with bigger tires. Apparently trailer based TPMS need to have stronger signal strength than "normal" TPMS sensors as they are further away.

I have signed up to have them email me when they become available, however I have not heard from them yet.

//KMac

Note: if the link does not pop up with proper info, I used GMC, 2020 and Sierra Trailer TPMS in the search criteria.