• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Tankless Water Heater Conversion

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I haven't done this in my Paradigm 340RL but I do have some experience. I've had this done in past RVs using the Girard and Suburban models.
Quick review:
- I liked the Suburban better
- It takes some getting used to as they operate different than a traditional water heater
- If I was doing this today, I'd choose the Truma brand

Trent Mills

Curious what the advantage would be that you are looking for. I am not knocking the thought, just wondering. Energy, amount, weight, etc.

We have plenty of hot water, just on electric heat. I can't speak for really cold weather yet.

Mjgodz+3

We are awaiting our 37v13 in a couple weeks. Prior to December we really wanted tankless as a requirement on our next unit. We spend Christmas at Disney with family and they had tankless and we had traditional. Towards the end of the stay they started to worry about their propane and the burn rate on their tankless WH. We rethought the idea and will stick will gas/electric and let the campground pay for our hot water

BirchyBoy

We were looking at a Truma conversion but I’m second guessing it. With the 12 gallon tank and dual heat, my wife has never run out of hot water. That has never happened before! I turn the gas heater on before her shower and off when she’s done. The electric heater is more than enough for my showers.

DWKX31

We were looking at a Truma conversion but I’m second guessing it. With the 12 gallon tank and dual heat, my wife has never run out of hot water. That has never happened before! I turn the gas heater on before her shower and off when she’s done. The electric heater is more than enough for my showers.
We had a tankless and didn't care for it because you had let it run a while till it got hot and for a shower it was good.But wife didn't like for doing dishes had wait for hot water if you didn't leave running. Also if you have low water pressure it would cut off and on go in error code. They say fill up tank and run pump. Not.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@BirchyBoy - I've had a couple different brands of Tankless water heaters over the years and the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) was pretty low with them.
And while I'm not personally a fan of them, they seem to be all the rage and we just might see them turning up in some Alliance products down the road. If I was putting my own money down on one, I would choose the Truma. I've never had theirs but I learned quite a bit about them.

Trent Mills

@BirchyBoy - I've had a couple different brands of Tankless water heaters over the years and the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) was pretty low with them.
And while I'm not personally a fan of them, they seem to be all the rage and we just might see them turning up in some Alliance products down the road. If I was putting my own money down on one, I would choose the Truma. I've never had theirs but I learned quite a bit about them.
WAF is important!!!!

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
WAF is important!!!!
OMG - for sure. If Momma ain't happy, ain't no one happy :

I dabble a lot in Home Automation both at home and in the RV. So I always have to be mindful of WAF. Dabbling while keeping WAF in mind usually means I can't create solutions for problems that don't exist :)