• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Solar/Inverter/Battery Build Thread - Paradigm 340RL

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
UPDATE for 25-Sep-2022 - See updates in red font below.

In July/August of 2022, I installed an energy system in my 340RL that I had removed from my last RV. I also augmented that system with additional equipment for additional and extended capabilities. This thread will document that process.

Feel free to ask questions about this system, it's capabilities and to give me input as to my system. This will be the second system I've ever done and while I'm handy, I am no expert in this area, nor do I do this sort of thing professionally. I do have some really smart friends and will use them here and there for ideas and review.

OUR CAMPING STYLE
We are not boondockers per se, though from time to time, we do find ourselves camping for a night or two in the driveway of friends and I would like to try a few Harvest Hosts. We travel with dogs, so we stop for an extended lunch break every travel day and we like to use what we want and be comfortable during these stops.

OFF-GRID SYSTEM GOALS
(rest breaks on travel days - moochdocking - Harvest Host or other boondocking locations)
  • Have the ability to use any of the 3 air conditioners that we need, based on the circumstance
  • Have the ability to power all AC power using appliances and devices (though not all at once)
  • Have the ability to power and use the TV and related entertainment gear
UPS SYSTEM GOALS
  • Have all my communications, entertainment, home automation and video surveillance gear powered 24/7 and without interruption by powering as much directly (not inverted) via DC power as possible
MAIN COMPONENTS
  • SmartPlug 50A Shore Power Inlet (will replace OEM twist-lock inlet)
  • 30A Twist-Lock Shore Power Inlet at Pinbox (for use when connected to single-phase power sources)
  • Progressive Dynamics PD52V 5200 Series 50A Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS)
  • Progressive Industries 50A Hardwired Electrical Management System (EMS) with Remote Display
  • Victron MultiPlus 12/3000/120 Inverter/Charger - 2 ea
  • Victron Autotransformer (100A) - 2 ea
  • Champion Dual Fuel Inverter-style Portable Generator (3200/2880 running watts on Gas/Propane)
AC DESIGN / INSTALL PLAN
  • Replace original twist-lock 50A power inlet with a SmartPlug 50A power inlet
  • Install 30A power twist-lock power inlet to the back of the 5th wheel pin box. Primary use of this second power inlet will be for a portable generator that will be stored and used in truck bed as well as single-phase shore power
  • Install Victron 100A Autotransformer between pin box 30A power inlet and ATS generator input (to create split-phase from single-phase input)
  • Install Progressive Dynamics 50A ATS (for 50A shore and 30A generator power inlets)
  • Install EMS to ATS output
  • Install dual-pole 50A AC disconnect to EMS output
  • Install both inverter/chargers
  • Connect inverter/charger outputs to to second Autotransformer (to balance output across both AC legs when loads require it - up to 30A lift to the leg that needs it)
  • Connect output of second Autotransformer to coach breaker panel
DC DESIGN / INSTALL PLAN
  • Install 4 ea Renogy 200 Ah LiFePO4 batteries
  • Install Victron Lynx Power In (configured for fusing) to bus and fuse batteries in parallel
  • Install Victron 1000A Smart Shunt on negative after Lynx Power In
  • Install BlueSea 600A HD Battery Switch on positive after Lynx Power In
  • Install Victron Lynx Distributor after Shunt and Battery Switch
  • Install two Victron Orion DC-DC Chargers, 30A/12V (for truck alternator charging)
  • Install 4 ea Renogy 320W Solar Panels
  • Install two Victron Smart MPPT Solar Charge Controllers, 150V/100A for 2 strings of 2 ea 320W solar panels

INSTALLATION
  • Below is an image that captures the essence of the new system in a nearly completed state and here's a link to additional installation pictures
IMG_2753 3.jpg

EXPERIENCE / RESULTS
  • Travel Days
    It was SO nice to use anything and everything we wanted during our 45-60 minute driver break / lunch stop. We cooked, we stayed cool, we were online. All good.
  • Moochdocking
    This worked out well. For 3 nights, we camped in the backyard of family in southern Wisconsin. Using a 30A twist-lock shore cord, I plugged into the 30A power inlet at the pinbox, then connected a 30A extension cord and terminated that with a 30A to 15A plug adapter and plugged into a 15A garage outlet. I adjusted the shore power input of each inverter to 7.5A (x 2 = 15A) and all went well. We used a single air conditioner pretty much 24/7 for these 3 days - alternating between using the middle AC and the bedroom AC as needed. And it was hot during the day. With sunlight, we received a decent charge from the sun in addition to 15A of shore power. At night, the battery bank sagged as planned as there generally wasn't enough air con off time for shore power to keep the bank at 100% SOC. No worries though.

• Power Outage
    At a rally in southern Wisconsin, one hot afternoon, we lost AC power. All "mostly" good at our place as the whole coach kept on running. While we were having a BBQ inside a friends 385FL (they had their gen running), I got an energy system alarm message on my phone from the RV. Turns off, I failed to remember we had all 3 ACs on. That said, the battery bank only lasted for a couple hours before voltage sagged enough for current to go high and trip / overload the inverters. Oops. No big deal though as shore power came back on a few minutes later. I reset the system and we were back in business on shore power and charging the batteries.

Last edited:

CornCrib

Jim:

I’m on the same journey as you, except I don’t have previous experience. I have a Avenue 32RLS with OTG package and plan to beef it up. Took advantage of the BattleBorn scratch and dent sale, and essentially got 2 270AH batteries with a free Victron MP II. So, I’ll be working to design that into the 32RLS.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hey @CornPopper - that’s gonna be a real nice system. The GC3s are nice. I have the 100Ah GC2s. They’re more like a golf cart battery form factor. I have 6 of them with an eye on adding up to 4 more after I see how the system performs in the 2022 camping season.

The MP2 is a nice unit if that’s all the power you’ll need (2400 watts). Same as my standard 3kVA MultiPlus. And that one unit with 600AH worked out for me pretty well in a 30 foot travel trailer. With the Paradigm and 3 ACs, I want more power :)

Spent time on the phone last night with a couple of pals that are way smarter than me on this stuff and the conclusion we arrived at for my use case is to add a second MultiPlus 3kVA (12v) to my existing unit. We’ll run them in parallel split-phase. I’ll have a portable dual-fuel generator in the truck bed for off-grid power / charging when needed and I’m installing a second 50A power inlet behind the pinbox. Then I’m adding a second Orion DC-DC charger (30A at 12V) to the one I have. This will give me 60A of charge current from the truck alternator when driving. Finally, solar could happen in the future along with (or not), more batteries. We’ll have to see. If you want to spin each other’s propellers on these systems, PM me your phone and we can chat.

On edit: I’ll be installing a 50A Progressive Industries EMS and 2 Victron 100A Autotransformers (1 at the pinbox power inlet and one after the MPs). Autotransformers to balance the output load and the other one to make a second power leg from single phase power (gen, minimal shore power etc.).

Famtraveler24

This winter, I will be reinstalling and augmenting a system I removed from my last RV, into my new 340RL. This thread will document that process. At this time, I am working on my design. Once the design is complete, I’ll add it here.

When I begin my install, I will add that here as well. When I have experience and results from my system, I’ll share that here too. So this post will be edited and added to as time goes along. With each major edit, I will reply to the post to indicate the presence of significant change.

Feel free to ask questions and to give me input as to my system. I've done one system thus far. While I'm handy, I am not an expert in this area and I do not do this sort of thing professionally. I also have some really smart friends and will use them here and there for ideas and review.

OUR CAMPING STYLE
We are not boondockers per se, though from time to time, we do find ourselves camping for a night or two in the driveway of friends and I would like to try a few Harvest Hosts. We travel with dogs, so we stop for an extended lunch break every travel day and we like to use what we want and be comfortable during these stops.

OFF-GRID SYSTEM GOALS
(rest breaks on travel days - moochdocking - Harvest Host or other boondock locations)
  • Have the ability to use the bedroom or living room air conditioner
  • Have the ability to power the the refrigerator and microwave
  • Have the ability to use our CPAP machines
  • Have the ability to use most of the AC outlets in the coach

UPS SYSTEM GOALS
  • Have all my communications, home automation and video surveillance gear to be powered 24/7 and without interruption

MAIN COMPONENTS

DESIGN

INSTALLATION

EXPERIENCE / RESULTS
Same journey here on our 390. 2400w solar on the roof. 24v 280ah batt bank, Quattro 5000. Panels soon to be installed.

CDFHarley12

This winter, I will be reinstalling and augmenting a system I removed from my last RV, into my new 340RL. This thread will document that process. At this time, I am working on my design. Once the design is complete, I’ll add it here.

When I begin my install, I will add that here as well. When I have experience and results from my system, I’ll share that here too. So this post will be edited and added to as time goes along. With each major edit, I will reply to the post to indicate the presence of significant change.

Feel free to ask questions and to give me input as to my system. I've done one system thus far. While I'm handy, I am not an expert in this area and I do not do this sort of thing professionally. I also have some really smart friends and will use them here and there for ideas and review.

OUR CAMPING STYLE

OFF-GRID SYSTEM GOALS
(rest breaks on travel days - moochdocking - Harvest Host or other boondock locations)

UPS SYSTEM GOALS
  • Have all my communications, home automation and video surveillance gear to be powered 24/7 and without interruption

MAIN COMPONENTS
  • SmartPlug 50A Shore Power Inlets - 2 ea
  • Southwire 50A Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS)
  • Progressive Industries 50A Hardwired Electrical Management System (EMS) with Remote Display
  • Champion Dual Fuel Inverter-style Portable Generator (3200/2880 running watts on Gas/Propane)

AC DESIGN / INSTALL PLAN
  • Install second SmartPlug 50A power inlet to the back of the 5th wheel pin box. Primary use of this second power inlet will be for a portable generator that will be stored and used in truck bed but could use for shore power too - (planned for single phase power in only)
  • Install ATS to both power inlets
  • Install Autotransformer between pin box power inlet and ATS input (using 1 leg only)
    (to create split-phase power when using single phase shore or generator power)
  • Connect inverter/charger outputs to to second Autotransformer (to balance output across both AC legs when loads require it - up to 30A lift to leg that needs it)

DC DESIGN / INSTALL PLAN

INSTALLATION

EXPERIENCE / RESULTS
Jim,

Awesome! I would love to install the solar package on my 340RL. I will follow up with your post. Also, I would love to know what is the total cost so I can prepare for that.

Many Thanks!

bhidalgo

I have one panel of whatever it is that the factory installed on our 310RL. We have two Renogy 100 amp hour Li batteries I put in it after we got it last September as well. So far not really happy with the system as a whole yet. But we will deal with it as is until I can figure out a way to maximize what we have. Guess I had higher expectations of what our system would do than what it actually can. You live and learn I guess.

Following. I have the factory solar package on my 340RL, one 190W panel, 30A GoPower Solar Controller, 2K Progressive Dynamics inverter. I added 2 more solar panels for a total 570W and installed three 100ah Battle Born internally heated batteries. I would eventually like to be able to power the entire coach, running at least one A/C and the microwave. For that I plan on adding another 300AH of battery and replacing the controller with a combo solar controller/inverter that will provide energy from the battery to make up a low voltage situation on shore power and of course power entire coach while boon docking. I'm not well versed in all this so I hope there will be somebody at the rally that can steer me in the right direction.

PapaBigGuy1

OUR CAMPING STYLE

OFF-GRID SYSTEM GOALS

UPS SYSTEM GOALS

MAIN COMPONENTS
  • SmartPlug 50A Shore Power Inlets - 2 ea
  • Southwire 50A Automatic Transfer Switch (ATS)

AC DESIGN / INSTALL PLAN
  • Install second SmartPlug 50A power inlet to the back of the 5th wheel pin box. Primary use of this second power inlet will be for a portable generator that will be stored and used in truck bed but could use for shore power too - (planned for single phase power in only)
  • Install ATS to both power inlets
  • Install Autotransformer between pin box power inlet and ATS input (using 1 leg only)
    (to create split-phase power when using single phase shore or generator power)
  • Connect inverter/charger outputs to to second Autotransformer (to balance output across both AC legs when loads require it - up to 30A lift to leg that needs it)

DC DESIGN / INSTALL PLAN

INSTALLATION

EXPERIENCE / RESULTS
Hi Jim,
We will be picking up our 340RL next week (can’t wait). Currently were having several items added, And have a similar camping style as you. We purchased the Dometic Go Power Solar Elite (2 190W panels, Bluetooth enabled 30 amp PWM digital controller, 2000 watt PSW with built in 100 amp battery charger and 50 amp transfer switch). I’m pairing this with 4 6v AGM batteries.
Several questions arose after the system was installed and I was given the inverter/charger manual to read: it appears as if the IC was installed too far from the batteries (manual states combined length of cable be less than 10 ‘). The batteries on the passenger side of the Gen compartment; the battery disconnect was placed on the driver’s side of Gen compartment and the IC was installed behind the angled wall on the passenger cargo bay. Besides the extended length, I’m wondering about whether there will be adequate ventilation for the IC. In addition, I will not be able to view the indicator lights without removing wall screws to get behind the wall. I’ve already communicated with the dealership that we need to address this and we agreed to talk on Monday. Are the above issues one I should hold tight too or is it reasonable to “give them some grace”?
Thanks in advance for your response.
Bill

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi Jim,
We will be picking up our 340RL next week (can’t wait). Currently were having several items added, And have a similar camping style as you. We purchased the Dometic Go Power Solar Elite (2 190W panels, Bluetooth enabled 30 amp PWM digital controller, 2000 watt PSW with built in 100 amp battery charger and 50 amp transfer switch). I’m pairing this with 4 6v AGM batteries.
Several questions arose after the system was installed and I was given the inverter/charger manual to read: it appears as if the IC was installed too far from the batteries (manual states combined length of cable be less than 10 ‘). The batteries on the passenger side of the Gen compartment; the battery disconnect was placed on the driver’s side of Gen compartment and the IC was installed behind the angled wall on the passenger cargo bay. Besides the extended length, I’m wondering about whether there will be adequate ventilation for the IC. In addition, I will not be able to view the indicator lights without removing wall screws to get behind the wall. I’ve already communicated with the dealership that we need to address this and we agreed to talk on Monday. Are the above issues one I should hold tight too or is it reasonable to “give them some grace”?
Thanks in advance for your response.
Bill
Hi Bill,

I certainly can't second guess the installation by your dealer and the design considerations that went into it.

I can give you some feedback from my own experience with different brands and sizes of equipment in my previous install.

I used a Victron MultiPlus 12v 3000va 50A. This unit had a 120 amp charger. When on 50A shore power and the batteries needed charging, the inverter/charger really kicked out some serious heat. If I hear you correctly, your IC was install near the breaker panel. That generated heat will ventilate into the coach. Nice in the winter, not as nice in the summer. That said, a LOT of professionals install the IC on the other side of that wall in the pass-through storage bay. In there, the heat will be sort of stuck. But that's where a lot of installers and RV owners want it.

It is true that the shortest amount of cabling from the battery bank to the IC - the better. When a longer run is required, once can use heavier (smaller AWG number) gauge DC cables. in 12v IC systems, I prefer to use 4/0. The size of the batteries and the distance from them to the IC will dictate the wire gauge to use.

With so many variables, you're better off consulting a pro rather than me on whether what you have, how it's wired and with what equipment - is suitable.

PapaBigGuy1

Hi Bill,

I certainly can't second guess the installation by your dealer and the design considerations that went into it.

I can give you some feedback from my own experience with different brands and sizes of equipment in my previous install.

I used a Victron MultiPlus 12v 3000va 50A. This unit had a 120 amp charger. When on 50A shore power and the batteries needed charging, the inverter/charger really kicked out some serious heat. If I hear you correctly, your IC was install near the breaker panel. That generated heat will ventilate into the coach. Nice in the winter, not as nice in the summer. That said, a LOT of professionals install the IC on the other side of that wall in the pass-through storage bay. In there, the heat will be sort of stuck. But that's where a lot of installers and RV owners want it.

It is true that the shortest amount of cabling from the battery bank to the IC - the better. When a longer run is required, once can use heavier (smaller AWG number) gauge DC cables. in 12v IC systems, I prefer to use 4/0. The size of the batteries and the distance from them to the IC will dictate the wire gauge to use.

With so many variables, you're better off consulting a pro rather than me on whether what you have, how it's wired and with what equipment - is suitable.
Thanks for the feedback Jim. Your statement says it all to me - “If I hear you correctly, your IC was install near the breaker panel. That generated heat will ventilate into the coach. Nice in the winter, not as nice in the summer.” Since we’re in sunny California, heat is an issue, so I’ll have them move the IC to the other side and ask about the wire gauge used. Thanks again.

Trent Mills

Copy, I was wondering how you were thinking of wiring up your AC side. I will be watching to learn!!!

The auto transformer looks interesting!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Shelly S

I've made a few updates to post #1 of this thread, now that I've installed my system. The updates are in red font. Included in the updates:
- Usage notes
- A photo of the system
- A link to a gallery of many photos
Thanks Jim. I too want to add to my solar and make the coach where everything can run from solar for 24 hours. I’m on the a little bit at a time plan 🙃.