• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Recommended Covers

Questions to consider:
  • To cover or not to cover? Pro's & Con's
  • If covering, what type of cover?
  • What is your experiences with covers?
    • Include type of weather and climate in your area.
    • Include brand and model of cover.
  • Tents or other open enclosures?
Dealers of course want to sell a cover, often their price ranges are $700 - $1,000 for premium covers depending on size of rig. On the internet, prices start at around $300.

Covers that are water proof, yet "breathable", and made of material that won't scratch are important. Zippers should be protected by the fabric to prevent scratching.

"Breathable" fabrics don't actually allow water or air through, rather they are vapor permeable and allow for "drying potential" to the outside. This supossedly prevents moisture from being trapped on the inside, but is no guarantee once the cover gets encrusted with snow or ice. If covering in snow country, and you plan to take out once in a while, I would definitely recommend removing the roof snow as you go, otherwise the cover will be impossible to remove without damaging cover and possibly the rig surfaces.

My two cents is cover with a tent if you plan on taking out from time to time in the winter. Then none of the above issues will present themselves. If not in snow country, then a cover might be a more convenient option to provide protection when not in use.

Experiences and thoughts?

Whitewolf

I had an ADCO on our 34' Montana HC for a couple of years, but haven't covered it at all for the last 3 due to taking off for a while during the winter. I don't plan on buying one for the 340 we pick up in a couple of weeks for that same reason.

The ADCO fit well and was soft, so I never had any scratches from it. It didn't keep the rain out, it wasn't designed that way, so I didn't have to worry about moisture buildup. It was heavy and it helps it have someone to help you put it on and take it off, and NOT on a breezy day. :oops:

When I took it off in the spring, I'd have to wait until ALL the snow melted and water stopped dripping. Then if I found moisture in the fabric, I'd have to lay it out in the driveway to completely dry before putting it away. Kinda like a camping tent.

We live in Michigans U.P. and there's currently a few feet of snow on the ground. About a foot on the HC. Due to the winds we get it can either add some or blow some off. As an example we got 8" of snow and had 40mph winds yesterday.

If someone wants to clean the snow off in the winter, remember plastic is brittle in cold weather and roofs are slippery.