• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

ON THE GO™ PORTABLE DOUBLE STANDARD WATER SOFTENER

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@Barry Vincent - I don't have it now, but I've used that one in the past and I'm currently contemplating whether I want one for my new coach.

If I recall correctly, the On The Go uses standard table salt and pours right in. That's certainly a bit easier then using rock salt in some of the other for cleaning the resin bed. I do recall the On The Go units as being fairly tall. Will it fit upright in your coach or will you set it outside?

Either way, consider using small (3/4") Gator Lock Garden Host CamLock fittings with 3/4" garden hose thread ends. I get them from Tractor Supply (and other suppliers). Make it really easy to connect / remove filters and softeners for maintenance / storage and not have to mess with the garden hose thread fittings each time.

Screen Shot 2021-12-15 at 9.27.22 AM.png

Last edited:

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
What about Pro Aqua?

Has a regen kit.

I like the form factor of that one - short and squatty. I’ve also used the Trav-L-Soft brand - also short and squatty.

That said, the kit Pro Aqua has is exactly how I would regen my Trav-L-Soft unit. Rock salt in a clear filter housing, used upside down and normally, I’d push 2 rounds of salt.

CornCrib

Gentlemen:

Is the Pro Aqua PreFilter/Regen installed before the Pro Aqua enough to replace a filter setup? Seems it will do 5 microns .... not as small as some, but good enough? With a 3 filter system, a PreFilter/Regen and a Water Softener ... that's getting a little cumbersome ... I'll have a small municipal water treatment facility running at my campsite.

I have the on the go double unit and love it. I have set it up so that it remains outside in the event of any leaks or problems. My routine:

1. Set tank on the ground.
2. Connect water in with brass quick connect.
3. Connect out to water filter in (clearsource 3 stage).
4. Turn water on.

When loading to leave, I reverse all this, then flip the softener tank upside down to empty the majority of the water. This reduces lifting and pin weight, and it fits nicely in the bay of my 390.

We spend much of our time in FL, and we'll water is the norm. It won't remove Sulphur smell, but it does soften the water. Heavy minerals will require much more frequent recharging/regen. Buy boxed salt at Sam's or Costco. It's cheaper that way.20211217_081012.jpg

bhidalgo

Awesome setup. I just got the On The Go OTG3NT-P3M system delivered yesterday. Will be using it in a few weeks when we go to a KOA in Ft Pierce, FL then to Disney Fort Wilderness Campground end of March. Hoping it helps with the water stains everywhere, Our Kinetico WS at our house has always been good for us

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Awesome setup. I just got the On The Go OTG3NT-P3M system delivered yesterday. Will be using it in a few weeks when we go to a KOA in Ft Pierce, FL then to Disney Fort Wilderness Campground end of March. Hoping it helps with the water stains everywhere, Our Kinetico WS at our house has always been good for us

@bhidalgo - the softener will help with water stains "somewhat". An even better way to remove hard-water deposits is by using an RO system. Doing whole-coach RO is a big commitment of money and installation time, but it's awesome. I've done it in two previous 5th wheels and loved having mega-filtered, then RO'd water at every tap, every drop of water in the coach.

We lucked up on an On-The-Go at a SOB rally in 2019. We’ve used it ever since. Charles has even managed to figure out a way to mount it inside the bay of the rig. (we are still a SOB)

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
We lucked up on an On-The-Go at a SOB rally in 2019. We’ve used it ever since. Charles has even managed to figure out a way to mount it inside the bay of the rig. (we are still a SOB).

But you’re great SOBs :)

I look forward to seeing you guys down the road - perhaps at an Alliance rally :)

But you’re great SOBs :)

I look forward to seeing you guys down the road - perhaps at an Alliance rally :)
Right now, we aren’t mobile. We are making a trip to Affinity RV for major repair assuming it doesn’t fall apart on us on the way there. We are also coming off the road from full time hopefully closing on a house end if this month so we can just leave it there if it’s fixable.

I can tell you that the softener will help at The Fort. Our first winter there we made it about 2 weeks before I ordered the softener,. I put a sediment filter ahead of the softener, then the softener, then a charcoal filter. It helps.

The water at The Fort is about 10 ppm which isn't terrible. Here in Texas it's 25ppm, not wonderful. I get about 350 gal before I have to recharge. At The Fort, I got about 700.