• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Installing "exterior" microwave / cooktop vent

Allioop

Have any of you out there added an outside vent to the microwave / cooktop? Should be simple if I had a template. Kinda scary cutting a hole in the side of the rig though.

Mark

Whitewolf

I'm going to be doing it this summer and you're right, it's kinda scary. Others have done it. On one of the Alliance facebook pages someone documented the procedure. Sorry, I don't remember which one.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@Allioop and @Whitewolf - I want to do this mod as well. Probably this winter when I swap the microwave for a convection / microwave unit.

A number of fellas did this as a group to their coaches at the national rally last month.

Whitewolf

Michigans U.P. I definitely wouldn't be opposed to doing both of ours (or anybody else's) at the same time. :)

Trent Mills

This link is the message stream on Facebook that I saved on it. I may do it one day too....

vchris

Have any of you out there added an outside vent to the microwave / cooktop? Should be simple if I had a template. Kinda scary cutting a hole in the side of the rig though.

Mark
I added it to my 365RD, had Curtis Carlson pull up the spec on the wall just to make sure nothing was in the way. Your right, I too was a bit nervous cutting through but everything went fine. I cut out the inside first just in case I messed something up knowing that the microwave would cover it. Drilled small holes in each corner, taped the fiberglass outside around the cut. Used an oscillating saw with fine teeth to cut it out.

Ralph Lowther

Here is how we did ours at the rally.

So here is how a few of us did this modification. Remove the microwave (if you get resistance on either of the 2 bolts be prepared to replace the entire microwave
or not install the vent).
Turn the blower motor so that it will vent to the back of the microwave.(The instruction book for the microwave will have directions for turning the blower for outside venting.)

Once removed you will make a horizontal line 3/8” down from the upper cabinet and then a second horizontal line down 4” from the first one. Mark the center of the opening between the two side cabinets then make a vertical line on each side of it 5 3/8” away. You should now have a box 10 3/4” x 4”. We used a Oscillating multi tool to cut from the inside of the coach straight thru to the outside. Seal the opening with foil tape and then install the vent from the outside (be sure to use butyl tape and then caulk the flange). There is a flange for the back of the microwave that you may or may not have(try Lowes or Best Buy for one from a display) you can also line the outside of the hole on the wall with some foam tape. Reinstall the microwave and you should be good to go.

Whitewolf

@Ralph Lowther you're alleviating some of my stress resistance to this project. :) Thanks for the straightforward installation description. Think I'll order those parts you listed.:)

bhidalgo

Does anyone have pictures of the finished product?
What vent did you use? Where procured from?
May just do this on our 310RL.

Thanks.