• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

how to shut down residential refrigerator when not needed?

J. Thomas

We have a 310RL with a residential refrigerator. In the winter, I store the trailer in our driveway, with trailer plugged into shore power. I do not need the fridge to run, however, there is no way to shut it down on it's control panel, and you can not easily access the plug to unplug it. I have heard you can turn off the breaker in the box, however, there is no breaker listed in the box as "Refrigerator". Which switch should I turn off, so I can still have my shore power in the winter, for heat, etc.. Thanks.
Jeff

Bill Martin

VP, Customer Experience
Staff member
The breaker you are looking for is labeled "Inverter". That will cut off power to the refrigerator:)

J. Thomas

Bill,
This does not do it. Turned off inverter at switch, but with RV plugged into shore power, fridge is still running. Another suggestion??
Jeff

Bill Martin

VP, Customer Experience
Staff member
Assuming this is a residential fridge you can unplug it directly from the outlet. You said you turned inverter off at switch. Was this the circuit breaker on the converter you are referring to?

J. Thomas

Assuming this is a residential fridge you can unplug it directly from the outlet. You said you turned inverter off at switch. Was this the circuit breaker on the converter you are referring to?
Can not even find the outlet. Someone said you have to disassemble the kitchen cabinet to get to it.
I don't think the inverter really has anything to do with the fridge running, when it is plugged in to shore power in the winter driveway storage.

Jim W

The GE Residential refrigerator can be turned off by pressing the FRIG and FREEZER simultaneously for 3 seconds. The display will show OFF (the light remains on). To restart, simply press the FRIG or FREEZER button.

Attachments

• 072163A8-630F-4A95-A6F1-856C390BFFD6.jpeg
    072163A8-630F-4A95-A6F1-856C390BFFD6.jpeg
    237.2 KB · Views: 8

J. Thomas

The GE Residential refrigerator can be turned off by pressing the FRIG and FREEZER simultaneously for 3 seconds. The display will show OFF (the light remains on). To restart, simply press the FRIG or FREEZER button.
That will not work on mine. I have an "LG", and already tried that. Thanks though.

I’m watching as well,ours wouldn’t turn off at the inverter or the converter breaker.So where is the plug in at?We are connected to 50 amp shore power as well and just want to turn the fridge OFF.Ours won’t shut down with the fridge/freezer buttons either

4trax

Bill,
This does not do it. Turned off inverter at switch, but with RV plugged into shore power, fridge is still running. Another suggestion??
Jeff
Bill is correct. You might have same thing wrong that we had from the factory. Simple fix just a process of elimination is all. Things were not plugged in correct connectors under the coach drivers side by axles. A little metal door (held place by two self tapping bolts) access point to connectors. 4 connectors that can accidentally be swapped around. I’m sure that’s your problem as you are experiencing same problem we had. Our refrigerator only worked on shore power because the invert plug was feeding power to or no fault ground outlets instead of the inverter. Swapped those two connectors around and boom! We had power to our refrigerator without being connected to shore power. Hope this solves your unknown problem with inverter connections. I know you were talking about just turning off your refrigerator but that question and what Bill said brought to light another problem that can and should be fixed. Text or call me if you need. I’ll try to walk you through it with pics if need be. Or if you have an Apple iPhone phone I can send videos to you. Or face time or Skype chat. 715-851-6979

Curtis

Hello, I am Curtis a new owner of the 310RL. If you look at the bottom cabinet next to the refrigerator you will notice a panel that can be removed with two screws. This will give you access to the plug and valve cutoff for your ice maker. Hope this helps.

J. Thomas

That is what I have been told before. I was just thinking maybe there was a way to do it without tearing into the cabinet wall every time I park the RV in my driveway for a few weeks. Weird that you can not just push a button and shut it down when it is not needed.

Curtis

Agree, something else I experienced with the residential refrigerator is that on a long trip your vehicle want keep up with the demand of the inverter for the refrigerator. On a twelve hour trip my inverter shut off (don't know when) because of low voltage. After talking with Alliance and the place where I purchased my rv, this is normal. Two batteries will help with this issue.
As for the cabinet the panel can be replaced without using the screws.

J. Thomas

Agree, something else I experienced with the residential refrigerator is that on a long trip your vehicle want keep up with the demand of the inverter for the refrigerator. On a twelve hour trip my inverter shut off (don't know when) because of low voltage. After talking with Alliance and the place where I purchased my rv, this is normal. Two batteries will help with this issue.
As for the cabinet the panel can be replaced without using the screws.
I have not had this problem, probably because I have two batteries.