• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Help needed. Our refrigerator is leaning

J. Thomas

After 1600 miles of travel on rough roads, I noticed our fridge is leaning forward. it is a residential, 3 door, LG model. It does not seem to have come out of it's spot, but is leaning forward. I can not physically push it back any, and the base is up against some type of angle iron-like brackets. It is not in danger of falling over, but the lean is annoying. I am sure the rough roads caused this. how can this lean be corrected? Thanks.

Bill Martin

VP, Customer Experience
Staff member
Good afternoon. With the LG fridge there are a couple brackets holding the fridge in place. If severe roads were to knock it out of place you should be able to undo the lower brackets holding the fridge rollers in place at the floor. Once those are removed the fridge should be able to be rolled out of the cabinet a few inches to straighten it out, and then can be pushed back in place to reclip into the brackets.

J. Thomas

Thank, but more questions. Those two brackets that hold the front rollers? Do you need a wrench to remove those? Then if I can push the unit back into a leveled up position, how do I "reclip those brackets? Do they snap into place, or do I rebolt/screw them back where they hold the unit? I do not have the RV where I can look at it right now. Thanks for answering my probably stupid questions. This is all new to me.
Jeff

J. Thomas

We finally fixed our refrigerator today, so I thought I would share the fix, and, how these residential refrigerators are actually installed. There are two "L" shaped metal brackets at the base, one in front of each fridge roller/foot at the front. This keeps the fridge from rolling forward out of the slide-out area. Once those are removed, you can roll the unit out of the space to access the rear. At the back, on the wall, are 3 "L" shaped brackets that screw to the back wall, and then extend out over the top of the fridge. These keep the unit from jumping up and down on rough roads. There is really no support of any kind for these on the back wall. Mine had most of the screws ripped out of the thin paneling, thus allowing the fridge to jump upwards, and tip forward. Then, you could not push the unit back under them, as they were resting against the back of the unit. When we took these brackets off, we found about 6-8 extra holes behind "each" bracket. This is where they were "guessing" the brackets should be placed to hold down the fridge, but they were wrong.
Anyway, we used some wall anchors and reattached all three brackets at the proper height so they just slip tightly over the top of the unit when we pushed unit back into place. Then we reattached the brackets in front of the two front rollers, and fridge is now solidly in place.
Rough roads were part of our problem, but factory assy. was the rest of the problem. Installers did not hook rear brackets securely, and failed to put them at the proper height to solidly hold the fridge in place. A QC inspection or a good PDI would not be able to see this flaw. It is an assembly problem.
So, if your residential fridge leans forward, or tips over forward, this is how you fix it.
Jeff

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@J. Thomas - The plant confirmed with me that we've improved the method of securement for the refers since the time frame yours was built.

Mine for instance (VIN 4263) has a framework that acts as a belly band around the refer, holding it back into the space.

J. Thomas

That sounds like a good idea. I am sure the method used depends on what type or brand of fridge you have in your specific unit. Ours is in a 2021, 310RL, and again, is the residential type, not the multi mode RV type.
Jeff