• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Hello from Central New York

Hi folks. My name is Dean. We hail from Oswego County in central New York State. My wife and I have decided on getting an Alliance for our next camper. We were at the CNY RV Show this past weekend and fell in love with the 340RL. Heading to the local dealer for a quote on Friday. We have always been Jayco buyers but since we are moving up to a 5th next, figured we better check out the build quality differences. We definitely noticed a huge difference compared to the Northpoints!

My only concern is tow vehicle. I have a 2017 Ram 2500 CCLB Cummins but know the pin weight is above what my truck is officially rated for. I am going to head to the towing section to see what everyone is using. I will post up in there for some advice on upgrades to do.

Todd80

Hi Dean an welcome! Wise choice going with an Alliance! As far the pin weight of the the 340RL being more than the payload capacity of your Ram 2500, all I'm going to say is that I'm going to buy more truck than I need before I purchase my next camper. My current tow vehicle is a Ford F-250, but I'm careful to stay within the capacities of the truck. Good luck!

Todd

Hey Todd! Thanks for the reply. After talking with a few people who have towed with duallies and went to either 3/4 or 1 ton SRW's and both regretted the decision! I went to the Ram dealer near my work, mainly to check the RAWRs of the SRW 1 tons but they had none on the lot. No real surprise there. Talking with the salesman there, who happens to be a camper himself, I decided a dually is what I will get. The salesman gave me a trade price that blew my mind. Pretty sure I am going to be ordering a new dually and then if we do decide to order a 340RL, I will be set truck-wise.

Todd80

Right on! It's crazy what used trucks especially diesels are going for now on the used market. My F-250 is a 2012 that I bought used when it was only 3 years old, and in the current market it looks like I could sell it for nearly what I paid for it 7 years ago. A dually will serve you well for a camper the size and weight of the 340RL.

jrector

Hey Todd! Thanks for the reply. After talking with a few people who have towed with duallies and went to either 3/4 or 1 ton SRW's and both regretted the decision! I went to the Ram dealer near my work, mainly to check the RAWRs of the SRW 1 tons but they had none on the lot. No real surprise there. Talking with the salesman there, who happens to be a camper himself, I decided a dually is what I will get. The salesman gave me a trade price that blew my mind. Pretty sure I am going to be ordering a new dually and then if we do decide to order a 340RL, I will be set truck-wise.
DRW is a wise choice. We didn't have the luxury of ordering as we'll be hitting the road at the end of this month (March 2022) so we shopped used. We've bought several cars from Carmax in the past and were always pleased so that's where we looked. We scored a 2021 Ram 3500 DRW with the standard output Cummins diesel that only had 6100 miles on it. I'm positive we paid ($70k+) more that what it was new but we had it the same day we saw it. It was even optioned with the 50 gal diesel tank which is great for travel. Filling up? Not so much! LOL

I too am excited for the 50 gallon tank...not the part where the card will be swiped 2 or 3 times to fill it up! LOL

I built a 3500 DRW also with the SO Cummins, Big Horn with a bunch of extras and it came out to an even $79k. I am not only excited about the tank size, I am excited to get the rear air suspension to help with the empty ride, The nice thing is that I get a supplier discount so that will save me around $5k. I had heard the local Ford dealers were not honoring the X plan we have so I called to see and sure enough...no X plan and they would not give me a trade price on my truck. No problem, I will stick with my Ram which I love.

jrector

I too am excited for the 50 gallon tank...not the part where the card will be swiped 2 or 3 times to fill it up! LOL

I built a 3500 DRW also with the SO Cummins, Big Horn with a bunch of extras and it came out to an even $79k. I am not only excited about the tank size, I am excited to get the rear air suspension to help with the empty ride, The nice thing is that I get a supplier discount so that will save me around $5k. I had heard the local Ford dealers were not honoring the X plan we have so I called to see and sure enough...no X plan and they would not give me a trade price on my truck. No problem, I will stick with my Ram which I love.
Sounds like it would be a beast! If you've ordered I hope it gets to you quickly. By the way, I grew up in central NY. Just outside Rochester. We'll be moochdocking at my sister and her husband's place in Hilton in June.