• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

GMC Pro Trailer camera

Fivelangs

For those that have installed the GM trailer rear view camera to tie into the infotainment system, how did you go about it.
GMC web site says trailer must be 32’ or less and attached to the hitch.
We have a 340 RL so, obviously it doesn’t meet either of those criteria

Tom S

For those that have installed the GM trailer rear view camera to tie into the infotainment system, how did you go about it.
As you mention, pro trailer is for bumper pulls trailers and not a fifth wheel trailers. Not sure why it would make the difference.

We tried to make the GM camera work and it just won’t! The invisible trailer feature only works on short trailers. We have a 44’ Valor and it was an afternoon wasted putting it up.

Fivelangs

We tried to make the GM camera work and it just won’t! The invisible trailer feature only works on short trailers. We have a 44’ Valor and it was an afternoon wasted putting it up.
That’s what I was afraid of.
Does the rear view work with the infotainment system at least? Hoping for one less thing on the dash.

TG74

I was hoping to use the GM camera, too. I'm not concerned about the transparent trailer view. I just wanted to mount the camera at the top of the trailer to serve as a backup camera and give a view of a bike rack. The one on the GMC accessories site says it has a 60-foot cable, so I thought it would work for this application on a 372RK. https://accessories.gmc.com/product/trailering-camera-system-85004154

@venturesomecouple - Was it just Transparent View that wouldn't work, or did the camera not work at all?

TG74

I finally got the GM camera installed over the weekend. The cord is long enough to run the length of the roof, down the side behind the front cap seam, over to the pin box area and down to the port in the bumper. I really like having this view as we drive. This is on a Paradigm 372RK and 2022 GMC.

1650931869836.jpeg

TG74

That’s amazing!
Im going to have to get one.
Did you mount the camera up where Alliance has the prep?.

I mounted it right beside the camera prep. The camera came with two bolts to attach the bracket to the trailer, but I used a couple of spare screws I had instead. When we get it back from service, I’ll try to get a couple photos.

kmac7800

I am getting ready to install on our 310RL, and I am trying to figure out the best routing of the cable. So I am very interested in how you did that with yours.

Thanks!

//KMac

TG74

I am getting ready to install on our 310RL, and I am trying to figure out the best routing of the cable. So I am very interested in how you did that with yours.

Thanks!

//KMac
I wish I could get some "after" photos, but I used my expert artistry skills ;) to mock up some "before" photos.

- I used the included zip tie mounts to secure the cable. I placed them about every 2-3 feet on the roof, routing the cable along the driver's side of the A/C units.
- When I got to the front, I routed the cable in front of the downspout so it wouldn't interfere with drainage.
- Brought it down the side, just behind the front cap seam. That shields it from the wind pretty well when traveling.
- At the bottom of the cap, I continued underneath over to the pin box, then back toward the front storage door.
- Just in front of the storage door holder clips, I let it dangle to the ground.

This allows it to plug into the rear bumper easily, and lets me coil it up and store it in the pin box when we aren't hooked up.
Lucky for me, it was just the right length for our 372RK. If I had a shorter trailer, I'd have to think about what to do with extra slack. I might coil it up and secure it just behind the pin box. As long as it didn't drag the ground, it would be fine.
I also bought some extra zip tie mounts at Lowe's as spares, in case the adhesive fails or the mounts break.

I hope this helps! It would be so much easier with real photos, but that will have to wait a couple of weeks.

1651864166790.png1651864085101.png

1651862780658.png1651863162260.png

kmac7800

I followed this to move my camera plug location from my bumper to the bed of my truck:

works beautifully!

Thanks for the visual. If you think about it, seeing it with the cable in a few weeks would be great.

//KMac

kmac7800

Wow, thank you for the pictures. I was going to route my cable under the trailer, however this gives me more food for thought.

//KMac

MacmarioQc

Anyone else had successful experience, I have heard by many that it didn’t work or stopped working after few weeks?

thanks