• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Fifth Wheel Hitches

Whitewolf

At one time the Goosebox was the only goose neck hitch that Lippert would allow for warranty. I think Anderson has their own frame warranty and I don't know about Gen-Y. I pulled our Montana HC for 8 years with a Goosebox. Very heavy and sturdy. I carried a small 12v air compressor for the few times the air bag lost air due to rough roads.

As much as I like the Goosebox, when we pick up our 340, I'm going with a standard B&W hitch. Don't really know why, call me crazy I guess.

I carry a small hot dog air compressor now so the airbag won’t be a problem. New truck has 400W outlet in bed as well as air bags/compressor system. I wonder if the small tank has provisions for an air hose coupler? Hmmmm

Whitewolf

I've got a 2021 Ram with the air bags in the back. Don't know about a coupler. I never thought about it and never looked. 😆

It seems that everyone is happy with their respective brand. No bad ones out there, which is good.

I am narrowed down to either the Andersen Ultimate or the Gen-Y Executive gooseneck replacement pinbox. The reasons are: USA made, easy to hook/unhook and very easy for me or my wife to remove if needing the truck bed. I don’t want to carry a lift system with me.
Not sure if you've made your decision yet, but my vote would be for the Gen-Y. From what I've seen in videos, and what I've read, the Gen-Y seems to be a really nice system, and gets great reviews. Good luck in your decision.

Trent Mills

I guess there is a question of definition when someone says hitch, pin box and gooseneck ball.
We have a hitch that uses the gooseneck ball but mates with a standard fifthwheel pin box. The Demco Recon fits on the gooseneck ball and mates with the stock pin box on the 340RL.

FORD350R

I've been happy with Gen-Y pin bin box I have a 21 F-450 to pull our 41v15. It's nice to be able to easily remove the ball and have full access to use the truck as a truck. I put two horse stall mats cut to shape in the bed and measured to cut out the holes for the ball and safety chains. Place the cut outs back in the holes and it's almost like having never cut them.

I emailed Alliance to see what they recommend or caution from using. Here is their reply:

Our coach’s chassis are made by Lippert and for these next generation chassis Lippert has changed their pinbox architecture. They are calling this new pinbox the Rhino Box. The Reese Goosebox is NOT compatible with the new Rhino Box and cannot be used. As of now there are only two options on the market (to our knowledge) that are sized and designed to be compatible with the Rhino Box:

Lippert Goosenneck Connect 21K – 2020043670

• Gen-Y Executive Series (Manual and Auto Latch Couplers avail)

As time goes on we imagine other aftermarket manufactures will produce new gooseneck adapters that will be compatible with the Rhino Box. Another question that often arises on this topic is how using a gooseneck adapter will affect the Lippert chassis warranty. For those questions we suggest that the customer asks this of Lippert directly using the provided contact info below.

574-537-8900 The Lippert Care Center
customerservice@lci1.com

Using one of the two types you listed below will not void the warranty through Alliance correct?

Ultimately, we are at the mercy of the Lippert chassis warranty, and we recommend that you contact Lippert directly to ask these questions.

If Lippert is fine, then we are certainly fine.
The gooseneck conversion will not affect any other aspect of the Alliance warranty unless the installation of the goose box adapter has caused whatever concern they are trying to have warranty covered.

I have not contacted Lippert to verify if the Gen-Y Executive would void the warranty, but Alliance is ok with it if Lippert is. Looking at the Lippert Gooseneck Connect, it appears to build very well and is also made in USA. Less than a grand and comes with the safety chains included. The only thing is it is manual latch/unlatch. Not sure that will be a concern since I would be connecting the safety chains any way.

Troy A

I emailed Alliance to see what they recommend or caution from using. Here is their reply:

I have not contacted Lippert to verify if the Gen-Y Executive would void the warranty, but Alliance is ok with it if Lippert is. Looking at the Lippert Gooseneck Connect, it appears to build very well and is also made in USA. Less than a grand and comes with the safety chains included. The only thing is it is manual latch/unlatch. Not sure that will be a concern since I would be connecting the safety chains any way.
Hi, Did you contact Lippert and ask about the Gen-Y Executive?

Follow up…ordered a B&W Companion 20K slider hitch today. I went away from the gooseneck conversion for a couple reasons. My wife is adamant that we don’t swap out the pinbox because we have already paid for it and we would have to store it somewhere. The main reason is that I usually have totes by the tailgate. With the gooseneck, these would need to be moved to pull out from under the camper.

I went with the slider for the “just in case” scenario. I am planning to haul our mountain bikes right behind the cab on a rack mounted on the RetraxPro tonneau.

Attachments

• 72019EF8-FFE4-4912-A101-CB77C2042EC5.jpeg
    72019EF8-FFE4-4912-A101-CB77C2042EC5.jpeg
    865.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 26237F6F-2487-46DA-9A39-A580E4B559FD.jpeg
    26237F6F-2487-46DA-9A39-A580E4B559FD.jpeg
    810.7 KB · Views: 24
I did ask Lippert about using an Andersen or Pullrite Superlite and they flat out stated the warranty would NOT be covering any frame issues.

dhcolesj

I heard some Using the Gen-Y goose neck, and it's becoming more enticing to me, and I was wondering the same as others. I may investigate the Gen-Y Executive Series, as their hitches look very good.

dhcolesj

I asked the Alliance Rep, about the Gen-Y executive hitch (gooseneck replacement) and he said it and the Reese were good to go. So, to my wife's chagrin it has been put on the list. hehe.

I use a Gooseneck in my Truck a lot. So, planning on putting the Gen-y executive 2k-4.5k hitch on the 340RL. I certainly do not want to install and uninstall a 5th wheel hitch in my truck bed 6 times a year. Truck get used a lot for many things.