• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Do I turn on the power inverter when traveling?

DanaS

Hi - hope someone can answer this newb's question...

I have a 370FB with a residential refrigerator.

On travel days when I disconnect from external power, do I need to turn on the power inverter to keep the refrigerator running while traveling?

Thanks in advance!

Curtis

Yes, it is required to be on when unplugged from shore power if you want the refrigerator to operate. FYI it is a big drain on battery. I added a solar panel to help keep the batteries charged on ł trips.

RockingRK

Check to see what other outlets are on the inverter. In particular, if a TV or satellite receiver is plugged in to an outlet on the inverter, they will drain your batteries faster than the refrigerator. Learned this one the hard way. Don't just turn them off, unplug them. They are power vampires.

Likin' Bikin'

I have a question in this same vein - when the coach is not in use, do you block the doors open to prevent mildew & odor in the fridge? I have small blocks of wood in the freezer door (Samsung - 18 cf I believe) and one door of fridge at the first stop. Also, i had shut down the inverter (from inside) but when i came back later i had a fault light and it apparently had pulled the battery down. Do i need to shut if off at the inverter?

Curtis

Hello Likin
Yes you always turn off the inverter when the unit is in storage. It will drain your battery. I always leave my refrigerator door and freezer blocked open when not in use. I also unplug my refrigerator if it is not in use because if you plug in shore power it will come on automatically. Also be sure and turn off battery and remove the positive cable from your battery. If my unit is in storage for over two weeks, I remove my batteries and put them on a trickle charger every week or so to make sure they stay charged. Hope this helps.