• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Disc Brakes

Knoxk01

Replaced the electric drum brakes with Dexter hydraulic over electric disc brakes on my 310RL. Had the work done while at the Elkhart Rally at the end of August. Not a cheap investment but certainly a very good one. I feel that the truck/trailer combo actually stop better than the truck by itself.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Replaced the electric drum brakes with Dexter hydraulic over electric disc brakes on my 310RL. Had the work done while at the Elkhart Rally at the end of August. Not a cheap investment but certainly a very good one. I feel that the truck/trailer combo actually stop better than the truck by itself.

I love disc brakes. I don’t have them on my 340RL - yet :)

We are thinking about this upgrade even though we don't have our rig yet. Ball park price? We can start saving.

Last edited:

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
We are thinking about this upgrade even though we don't have our rig yet. Ball park price? We can start saving.
Does anybody have any ideas. Picked up our new 340rl yesterday. It has disk brakes and I had the Dexter brake actuator installed but it still takes about 7 seconds before the trailer brakes work once applied.
Scott and Petroman - A really good resource for aftermarket disc brake pricing and technical questions is Performance Trailer Braking. Michael and Kelly Barnett there are very helpful. Website link. Phone: 405-626-7009.

Trent Mills

Follow up on my post. We got the MorRyde suspension. They had to pull and reinstall the disk brakes. They must have bled them right because now there is no delay.
The brake pump makes continuous pressure. To bleed them pull the emergency release pin and it will continually pressurize while you are bleeding the brake. You need to make sure someone is filling the brake fluid reservoir while you do this.

Update: At the Alliance 2022 National Rally, the Dexter representative who was there for demos and to give a presentation said that we should NOT be useing the emergency release pin switch to bleed the brakes. It is not really robust enough to use for that purpose.
He set up a switch that plugs into the 7-pin connector, connected to a truck battery (12 V) to activate the disk pump for troubleshooting and service. Or, you can do it the old fashioned way by plugging in the 7 pin and have someone push on the brakes while you are bleeding them.

Last edited:

Todd80

If anyone is looking for the best, it would have to be the MorRyde independant suspension/disc brake system. It is pricey and probably not a task for a regular DIY guy. I don't have this system, but have seen nothing but positive reviews on it.

KingDom

Just ordered a 340rl with disc. Also I have to get a part for my disc to be able to brake . To use factory brake control on truck. Etrailor has it for 93.00 instead of dexter for 168.00
I love disc brakes. I don’t have them on my 340RL - yet :)
Why are disc brakes so much better than standard drum brakes? what reasons would you advise me for ordering this upgrade when we purchase our 385FL? Is it better to order disc setup from Alliance factory or go with aftermarket? Thank you.

Trent Mills

To answer the questions "Why are disc brakes so much better than standard drum brakes? what reasons would you advise me for ordering this upgrade when we purchase our 385FL?".

This is a pretty good summary in my opinion.

MAINTENANCE:​

• Fewer moving parts. Compare the caliper with one moving part, to a drum brake, with between 9 and 12 moving parts.​

• Longer life due to fewer moving parts and more effective heat dissipation.​

• Friction pads are easily accessible for replacement or inspection.​

• Easy access to caliper for cleaning and maintenance.​

• Entire caliper can be removed for maintenance without removing rotor and hub. (Kodiak’s caliper components can be replaced at any automotive parts store stocking GM replacement parts.)​

• Entire rotor can be removed for maintenance* without removing hub.​

PERFORMANCE:​

• Calipers are self-adjusting to eliminate unequal braking from one side to the other, resulting in smoother braking. Brake adjustment headaches are eliminated.​

• Braking performance is less likely to be affected by dirt, water, or rust contamination.​

• Much less sensitive to premature lock-up or wheel skid than corresponding uni-servo or duo-servo hydraulically operated drum brakes, or electrically operated drum brakes.​

• Fade resistant.​

• Better stopping performance.​

Whitewolf

In addition to Trent's answer I would suggest ordering one with disc installed at the factory. The disc brakes are hydraulic, so all wiring and plumbing are done in house. By plumbing I mean the hydraulic lines running from the pump to each wheel.

I'm a believer in 'if the factory offers it and you want it then order it.' :) I guess it'd be like ordering a new truck and when asked if I want the electric retracting side steps and I say 'I want those, but no thanks. I'll get them installed later.'

I actually have those steps and they were installed at the factory. And it was cheaper than buying a quality aftermarket set and them installing them myself like I did on our previous truck. :rolleyes:

Also, your new disc brakes now fall under the factory warranty. (y)

KingDom

In addition to Trent's answer I would suggest ordering one with disc installed at the factory. The disc brakes are hydraulic, so all wiring and plumbing are done in house. By plumbing I mean the hydraulic lines running from the pump to each wheel.

I'm a believer in 'if the factory offers it and you want it then order it.' :) I guess it'd be like ordering a new truck and when asked if I want the electric retracting side steps and I say 'I want those, but no thanks. I'll get them installed later.'

I actually have those steps and they were installed at the factory. And it was cheaper than buying a quality aftermarket set and them installing them myself like I did on our previous truck. :rolleyes:

Also, your new disc brakes now fall under the factory warranty. (y)
Thanks Whitewolf. I appreciate your Good advice!

KingDom

To answer the questions "Why are disc brakes so much better than standard drum brakes? what reasons would you advise me for ordering this upgrade when we purchase our 385FL?".

This is a pretty good summary in my opinion.

MAINTENANCE:​

• Fewer moving parts. Compare the caliper with one moving part, to a drum brake, with between 9 and 12 moving parts.​

• Longer life due to fewer moving parts and more effective heat dissipation.​

• Friction pads are easily accessible for replacement or inspection.​

• Easy access to caliper for cleaning and maintenance.​

• Entire caliper can be removed for maintenance without removing rotor and hub. (Kodiak’s caliper components can be replaced at any automotive parts store stocking GM replacement parts.)​

• Entire rotor can be removed for maintenance* without removing hub.​

PERFORMANCE:​

• Calipers are self-adjusting to eliminate unequal braking from one side to the other, resulting in smoother braking. Brake adjustment headaches are eliminated.​

• Braking performance is less likely to be affected by dirt, water, or rust contamination.​

• Much less sensitive to premature lock-up or wheel skid than corresponding uni-servo or duo-servo hydraulically operated drum brakes, or electrically operated drum brakes.​

• Fade resistant.​

• Better stopping performance.​

Thank you, Trent. I‘m in a hilly area and this is helpful information.