• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

ClearSource filter & OnTheGo water softener install in a 32RLS

CornCrib

Summary: We wanted to install the filter and water softener and accomplish 4 things:
1. Permanent install so it’s not part of our set-up/tear-down to do list
2. Install behind the basement wall, so we don’t take up valuable storage space
3. Install in a way we could access and remove it fairly easily for maintenance (filter change & WS recharge)
4. Secure the equipment so it's less likely to walk away, than if it was sitting outside. (These things are kinda pricey).

Here’s how we did it:
IMG_0321.jpg
Filter and WS installed behind the new wall (90 deg. blue tape) that we'll put in place of the old wall (diagonal tape)

IMG_0319.jpg
Flexilla Hose made it easy with no kinks. Quick disconnects will make it easy to remove for maintenance outside.

IMG_0323.jpg
Everything is connected with 90 degree elbows, quick disconnects, and Flexilla short hoses. Filter will be secured to the floor. WS will be secured at top rope to ceiling and by a strap to the filter housing. Should be secure.

IMG_0325.jpg
Water comes in through blue hose, over wall, through filter, then WS, then back over wall to Nautilus inlet with a water meter to measure gallons. We will put a Water Pressure Regulator between the blue and green hose connection so pressure is regulated before it enters any system.

We went with this method instead of the hard plumbed PEX solution we've seen others do for simplification, and the flexibility to remove, or move things around if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0321.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg
    703.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

HelotesAg

yeah, this is a great looking setup. I think you've inspired me - now I just have to figure out how to convince my wife that we NEED this too!

CornCrib

A little update:
Did a full on pressure test with everything in place. Had a couple of small leaks (like a drip per minute or less). Pulled it all out, re did the 3 connections that were leaking and pressure tested outside the coach. All was good and reinstalled behind the wall. Tested again in place, and all was good again. Didn't take very long. (maybe an hour).
The common issue: I over-tightened some of the connection points, causing the rubber rings to become distorted and ineffective. I'd been warned about that many times, but did it anyway.
Now, you've been warned also..........

tegtmks

Thank you for sharing this. My husband wants to add a softener to our 2024 Avenue 32RLS. I will be sharing your pictures with him. Perfect out of site and not taking up space. Agree with leaving it off of the lists of set up and break down.

CornCrib

Thank you for sharing this. My husband wants to add a softener to our 2024 Avenue 32RLS. I will be sharing your pictures with him. Perfect out of site and not taking up space. Agree with leaving it off of the lists of set up and break down.
Feel free to reach out if you have any questions, or what pics from a different angle.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi Paul - has your system worked our for you this season?

I didn't install a softener but I did install filtration and an RO system in the same place you did pretty much. Plumbing-wise, I did mine slightly different that you did. There's a PEX loop at the back of the Nautilus that connects the shore water inlet to the Nautilus valving. It consist of a single piece of PEX (may 12" max) and 2 female Apollo swivel 1/2" fittings. I unscrewed this loop, saves it and plumbed my system in place of the loop.

A touch more work yet it allows me to still use the OEM shore water inlet for my shore hose. Hope all is well with you guys! Our 340RL is now home from it's last trip while we own it. It and the F450 are going to a good home - my next door neighbor :)

CornCrib

Hey Jim .. doing good here. Home for a couple of weeks, then back out again to KY and MI.

So far, so good on the softener/filter set up. We live in a very hard water area and are familiar with the bad things hard water does to systems and appliances in the home, so it was a high priority for us. Not having to pull anything out or put anything away other than our single hose is nice. So far, we've recharged the WS and replaced the filters about every 10 weeks of camping. More than is needed, per gallon usage, but we'll stick with that for now. Once I get my head around not tightening hose connections to tight, everything is working well.

Look forward to seeing you and your new setup out there soon.

NYCescapee

Very Nice job. Looks clean & Professional. We have weight restrictions because of our 3/4 ton truck. We will most likely just go with a travel berkley. I'll post pics soon.