• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

changing to 300AH of Lithium ion on a 32RLS.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Does the 32RLS have a switch on the baby solar system to switch to Lithium ion batteries like other models? Our hope is to do this upgrade before we do a big upgrade. We do not have our unit yet.

Hi Scott - I’m checking into this for you as I don’t have firsthand knowledge.

Bill Martin

VP, Customer Experience
Staff member
Good evening. I believe there is a tiny switch on the converter panel that says LA and LI. To convert to lithium all you need to do is flip that switch to LI.

CornCrib

Does the 32RLS have a switch on the baby solar system to switch to Lithium ion batteries like other models? Our hope is to do this upgrade before we do a big upgrade. We do not have our unit yet.
Scott: In my research, I've found the Converter/Charger in the 32RLS is a Progressive Dynamics PD4560, which does have the capability to switch to Lithium charging

PD4500 Series

Scott: In my research, I've found the Converter/Charger in the 32RLS is a Progressive Dynamics PD4560, which does have the capability to switch to Lithium charging

PD4500 Series
thank you. I think we're going with Battle Born 100ah on the battery bank. Start with 3. Hope to eventually do 1200 watts on the roof and 800ah and all the fixings. I have a lot to learn and much of this is above my current skillset.

CornCrib

thank you. I think we're going with Battle Born 100ah on the battery bank. Start with 3. Hope to eventually do 1200 watts on the roof and 800ah and all the fixings. I have a lot to learn and much of this is above my current skillset.
I've been looking at the same thing, Two batteries I'm considering are:

BB GameChanger not a money saver, really ... but will cut down on battery cables.
Weize 100AH - this one looks promising for saving some $. Will be keeping an eye on reports of its performance and reliability.

I've been looking at the same thing, Two batteries I'm considering are:

BB GameChanger not a money saver, really ... but will cut down on battery cables.
Weize 100AH - this one looks promising for saving some $. Will be keeping an eye on reports of its performance and reliability.
I really like the BB game changer. I didn't see that it had a heater? but even if it doesn't, would I really need it? so much to figure out. I could get away with only 3 or 4 of those and save space.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I really like the BB game changer. I didn't see that it had a heater? but even if it doesn't, would I really need it? so much to figure out. I could get away with only 3 or 4 of those and save space.

The BB GC3 does not have a heater. Whether you’d need battery heating is a function of the temperature of your battery space in the coldest periods and if you’d need to be adding charge current to them.

I’m in north TX, so we can see freezing temps at times. That said, I have zero plans to be camping in this area in those coldest months, so this is not an issue for me. Battery damage from freezing isn’t an issue for the cylindrical cells used in the BBs. Nor is pulling power from the BB batteries when they are below 32F. Getting power into the BB batteries is the issue. Their internal BMS will prevent them from accepting charge current when they are in the cold danger zone. So with that all said, for my use case - I’d be fine with say, putting them in the unconditioned gen bay space.

The BB GC3 does not have a heater. Whether you’d need battery heating is a function of the temperature of your battery space in the coldest periods and if you’d need to be adding charge current to them.

I’m in north TX, so we can see freezing temps at times. That said, I have zero plans to be camping in this area in those coldest months, so this is not an issue for me. Battery damage from freezing isn’t an issue for the cylindrical cells used in the BBs. Nor is pulling power from the BB batteries when they are below 32F. Getting power into the BB batteries is the issue. Their internal BMS will prevent them from accepting charge current when they are in the cold danger zone. So with that all said, for my use case - I’d be fine with say, putting them in the unconditioned gen bay space.
This winter it will freeze (Vermont) but after that it is our intention to chase the 70 degree weather. I wonder it that'd hurt them any? it would be buttoned up for the winter with one trip in late February to North Carolina. I wouldn't try to charge it until it was above the lower limit.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
This winter it will freeze (Vermont) but after that it is our intention to chase the 70 degree weather. I wonder it that'd hurt them any? it would be buttoned up for the winter with one trip in late February to North Carolina. I wouldn't try to charge it until it was above the lower limit.

I think you’ll be fine. Assuming you have a battery disconnect switch, just turn that off and there will be no power in or out of them. SOC may sag a bit over the winter but spring time recharging will take care of that.