• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Can I run the furnace when not plugged in to shore power, (battery power only).

J. Thomas

Might need to spend some time in our Rv this winter, and may not have a place to plug into shore power. Can I run the furnace with battery power only. Or, would I need to get a generator? Thanks
Jeff

Val36

The battery is used to run the blower in the furnace to move the warm air through the coach while the LP burning creates the hot air. Depending on how much you use other 12V DC stuff (lights, TV, fridge in Valor, inverter in Paradigm) and if you have solar panels with sun recharging the battery(s), will decide how long the furnace fan can be used. Overnight should be easy to do, a weekend might need a recharging source.

I have a basic campsite for 2 nights this weekend in Missouri, we'll see how well the Valor (640W solar & 100AH Lith battery) does and if I have a shaded site. Might need to run generator to boost up batteries a bit during the day. Might be buying a 2nd battery if I get low % on battery.

Good luck and report how it went please. Where in MO if you dont mind saying. We are in California MO and will be picking up our Valor 41v15 on Thursday from RV Eagan!

Val36

Good luck and report how it went please. Where in MO if you dont mind saying. We are in California MO and will be picking up our Valor 41v15 on Thursday from RV Eagan!
I'm in Arnold MO (South side of St. Louis) and camping at St Francois State Park near Bonne Terre MO. I heard great things about RV Eagan. I bought mine from Byerly RV in Eureka MO. Their service and techs are pretty good, great delivery experience. Sometimes race (dirt bike Hare Scrambles) near you in Eugene MO and other land around there.

Also camped at Finger Lakes State Park at another Basic site, generators are allowed during the day and we ran the A/C in the afternoon for that trip. During the night time, with windows open next to bed and Max Aire fans pulling air across us it was quite comfortable sleeping in the summer evening on battery.

J. Thomas

We are hoping to move to SE Ohio in a few weeks. Plan to spend a few nights in the RV up there, while we are getting settled into the house. Do not yet have any plug there, for shore power. Sounds like I might need to hook up to the pickup and recharge the batteries on the RV every day, for a hour or so. We willl be able to use the bathrooms in the house, so water is not a problem.
Jeff

Val36

We are hoping to move to SE Ohio in a few weeks. Plan to spend a few nights in the RV up there, while we are getting settled into the house. Do not yet have any plug there, for shore power. Sounds like I might need to hook up to the pickup and recharge the batteries on the RV every day, for a hour or so. We willl be able to use the bathrooms in the house, so water is not a problem.
Jeff
A small inverter generator like a 2000 would come in very handy and are pretty quiet and easy to carry. These would work for charging and power most things 1 at a time besides the A/C.

I’m not sure how much charge/amps you’ll pull from the pickup 7pin connector. This hasn’t been noticeable amount of charging for me in the past.

A small inverter generator like a 2000 would come in very handy and are pretty quiet and easy to carry. These would work for charging and power most things 1 at a time besides the A/C.

I’m not sure how much charge/amps you’ll pull from the pickup 7pin connector. This hasn’t been noticeable amount of charging for me in the past.
Our 42v13 did not have the "hot" wire connected from the pigtail to the trailer, so therefore no 12v from the truck while driving.

Not exactly sure why they did this, but am assuming dc to dc convert would fix the issue they thought to avoid by not connecting it?