• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Valve Stems

Grassjohn

16-month old Paradigm 385FL - We had an interesting situation develop with 1 tire: losing about 10 PSI a day. Examined the tire for typical reasons, including the sidewall and tire bead seal with no obvious culprits. Decided to check the metal valve stem - barely more than finger tight.

From the interweb, Tirereview.com, “…aluminum wheel valve stems present definite problems when they are improperly torqued. If the valve stem is loose, the assembly leaks. If it is too tight, corrosion will begin to form around the valve stem and a leak will soon follow. The recommended torque for standard aluminum wheel valve stems is 7 to 11 ft/lbs or 80 to 125 in/lbs.”

Another lesson learned and now part of my maintenance checks.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Thanks for sharing this @Grassjohn. I assume there's an external nut around the valve stem that one torques? What size socket does that nut take?

Grassjohn

Hi Jim, I just got home and have proper tools. Yes, there’s an external nut, it’s a 14mm and I have a 6-point deep well. Set my torque wrench for 85 inch pounds and it took close to two full turns of the torque wrench on each valve stem to achieve that setting. Since the spare tire has a steel wheel the setting is 35 to 55 in/lbs.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi Jim, I just got home and have proper tools. Yes, there’s an external nut, it’s a 14mm and I have a 6-point deep well. Set my torque wrench for 85 inch pounds and it took close to two full turns of the torque wrench on each valve stem to achieve that setting. Since the spare tire has a steel wheel the setting is 35 to 55 in/lbs.
Thank you!

FYI @Rob Boyer

johnda98

just watched a utuber. new unit.. had 4 or more of his valve stems fail... Said Alliance service were exceptionally attentive .. even on a weekend.

sounds like a covid period supply-chain/ related kind of issue.. maybe a 'batch'.. from the tire/wheel assembler.. sounds a sub contractor does that

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
just watched a utuber. new unit.. had 4 or more of his valve stems fail... Said Alliance service were exceptionally attentive .. even on a weekend.

sounds like a covid period supply-chain/ related kind of issue.. maybe a 'batch'.. from the tire/wheel assembler.. sounds a sub contractor does that
Stupid Covid :mad: