• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Upgrading our batteries

SkipperJT

We took delivery of our Avenue 32RLS in December 2021 with two 6v flooded lead-acid batteries and found out we were not making it through the night after charging up while dry camping with this battery array. After watching multiple YouTube videos I decided to modify our 12v system with four Battle Born LiFePO BB10012 batteries in parallel. The system will give us 400Ah up from the 112.5Ah (50% DOD on the lead acid 6V in series). Will add a 300A fuse to protect the battery array and a 500A Smart Shunt from Vitron so I can see our power usage on my cell phone. This is phase one of the electrical system upgrade I plan on installing. Phase two will involve installing a Vitron MultiPlus II inverter (2x120 3000w) and the associated wiring conductors, fuses and buss bars. Phase three will be the solar panel component installation. Baby steps along the way. Our rig came pre-wired on the roof for solar but I can't find out where those wires terminate in the unit. Anyone know where I should be looking?

dwcfish

Skipper - had the same question on my 32RLS. They terminate by the batteries, in mine they were bundled up in the wires to the right of battery area. As a note I spoke with several solar companies - Go Power, Zamp and Renogy. All of them told that the 8 GA wire that was run had a max solar capacity of 6-800 watts. So if you are going to put more solar than that on the roof you may need either a larger wire or a second run. Good Luck!

CornCrib

Skipper, dwcfish: I'm in the same spot as you, but a month or so behind as my build date is late Feb. From what a saw at the factory tour, those roof solar wires should come down a chase through the curved wall between the bathroom and bedroom and terminate in the ceiling of the basement, or come out there and be carried through to the front where the batteries would normally be. I'd expect to be able to look up at the ceiling in the basement and see a pvc conduit coming down with the wiring in it.

We took delivery of our Avenue 32RLS in December 2021 with two 6v flooded lead-acid batteries and found out we were not making it through the night after charging up while dry camping with this battery array. After watching multiple YouTube videos I decided to modify our 12v system with four Battle Born LiFePO BB10012 batteries in parallel. The system will give us 400Ah up from the 112.5Ah (50% DOD on the lead acid 6V in series). Will add a 300A fuse to protect the battery array and a 500A Smart Shunt from Vitron so I can see our power usage on my cell phone. This is phase one of the electrical system upgrade I plan on installing. Phase two will involve installing a Vitron MultiPlus II inverter (2x120 3000w) and the associated wiring conductors, fuses and buss bars. Phase three will be the solar panel component installation. Baby steps along the way. Our rig came pre-wired on the roof for solar but I can't find out where those wires terminate in the unit. Anyone know where I should be looking?
LiFePO is the way to go! Remember LiFePO batteries don't like cold, that's why you see options for heated enclosures.
Besides BattleBornBatteries.com, also try BigBattery.com.

Last edited:

JustDennis

I'm looking at SOK batteries - a 200AH battery is around $1100-$1200 - so 400AH would be around $2300 - also looking at the Victron Lynx for a power distribution system along with the Victron 500A shunt.

RichieW13

Can you just do a straight swap with lithium batteries?

I've seen people with other trailers say the converter also needs to be changed. And maybe there are possible issues with using the truck to charge the lithium batteries while driving?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Mike in North Wales

What coach do you have?

On our '23 Paradigm, we need to move a dip switch on the board in the converter if we change to lithium batteries. I think that is common across all lines, but I'm not sure if it is common through all years.

As far as charging from your truck, I think I remember Jim Belletti saying that stays the same, as long as you stay with a 12VDC system.

Someone (maybe Jim?) may join in and add to or correct what I've stated.

darrell

You do not need anything special for charging from your truck. Some folks install a DC-DC charger to push higher current from the truck to the trailer batteries, but it is not a necessity. In any case, your existing wiring will be the limiting factor on charging your batteries going down the road. Adding solar to your trailer will help as well.