• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Underbelly Insulation Issues

Basspr72

Hello - Does anyone know if insulation is installed between the flooring area and the underbelly corrugated board on the Valor TH, specifically the 42V13? Long story short, we recently had an issue with our half bath water lines freezing. Upon removing the panel in the garage under the washer/dryer hookup area, I reached down into the floor hole behind the fireplace where the pipes come up. I could put my hand in this area and move it around about 6 inches in all direction, could even feel the bottom corrugated board under the rig, but felt NO insulation anywhere.. Is this normal? If so, this could explain the freezing lines as if there is no insulation and the heat from the basement area can not reach this area, well there would be a weak point for air - right?

Andrew

Although I haven't had my Paradigm 340RL long enough to know for sure, I can tell you that the open area around the bottom of my island, above the kick plate drafts cold air into the unit like there's an A/C unit under there. The main floor is also VERY cold to walk on barefoot. Therefore, I assume if I were to pull off the cloroplast, I'd find zero insulation.

Basspr72

Although I haven't had my Paradigm 340RL long enough to know for sure, I can tell you that the open area around the bottom of my island, above the kick plate drafts cold air into the unit like there's an A/C unit under there. The main floor is also VERY cold to walk on barefoot. Therefore, I assume if I were to pull off the cloroplast, I'd find zero insulation.
Concur - Think I am going to pull he cloroplast down this spring and install some insulation in the dead spaces under the unit.. Not looking forward to it, but Just seems like to prudent thing to do if I am going to use the unit in the winter..

Hello - Does anyone know if insulation is installed between the flooring area and the underbelly corrugated board on the Valor TH, specifically the 42V13? Long story short, we recently had an issue with our half bath water lines freezing. Upon removing the panel in the garage under the washer/dryer hookup area, I reached down into the floor hole behind the fireplace where the pipes come up. I could put my hand in this area and move it around about 6 inches in all direction, could even feel the bottom corrugated board under the rig, but felt NO insulation anywhere.. Is this normal? If so, this could explain the freezing lines as if there is no insulation and the heat from the basement area can not reach this area, well there would be a weak point for air - right?
Just went thru that exact hole your talking about. Yes ours looks like it was either cut short for the pipes and they didn’t finish it up. I “fixed” mine with bubble wrap and aluminum tape, while I was fixing the ducts behind the fireplace to get some flow to the garage while we have this cold weather.

Attachments

• 267EFA65-0CE6-4FE5-B096-5C9E49FE5275.jpeg
    267EFA65-0CE6-4FE5-B096-5C9E49FE5275.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 441836E9-3DC0-4ED4-A702-4D2387EEA9CC.jpeg
    441836E9-3DC0-4ED4-A702-4D2387EEA9CC.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 87F2F7A6-9E1C-4AFF-BE95-BAE07E776917.jpeg
    87F2F7A6-9E1C-4AFF-BE95-BAE07E776917.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 33

Todd80

Most towable RV's do not have fully insulated underbellies. The reason for this is because if insulation gets wet, mold will likely grow. When using any RV in temps in the 20's or colder, proactive measures have to be taken to prevent freezing pipes.

I started our stackable washer/dryer install yesterday in the garage of our 41v15. I wanted a drain pain under the washer with a drain tube to get water out in case there is a bad leak. I had to investigate where to get line out through the floor. I removed some of the belly board to make sure there wasn’t any tanks or lines in the way. What I found was R19 batts installed on top of the belly board. Now the space between the joist appear to be around 22” but they only used a 16” wide batt. They attempted but it’s not very good. There is a solid layer of foam under the decking so that is good. I’m an insulation contractor so I was a little disheartened when I saw that but it’s something I can address later. I didn’t go no further than the middle axle from the back. I don’t know what the front part would be but I doubt it would be any different. We still love our camper. The drain pain and tube was a success yesterday so I’m counting my blessings.