• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Starlink RV

Shelly S

Hello all!
In case you have not heard/seen you can now order Starlink Rv EVEN in areas that are on a wait list! We ordered ours yesterday and have received the get prepped email already.

I have been waiting for 1 yr at my home for Starlink.
Good luck to those who want it!

Kristin T

Hello, Shelly, I did a post search for "Starlink" and came across your message from last year. Just wondering how you're continuing to like Starlink. My husband and I just purchased a Valor 42v13 for living in on some acreage we have in a rural area, and we're thinking of purchasing Starlink. Does the Starlink run through (or is it compatible with) the Wineguard 4G extender built into the RV? Thanks in advance for any info/feedback! :)

darrell

Starlink will not work with the 4G extender. However, the wireless is pretty good such that if you have the router in your trailer, even in the basement or garage, it should cover your immediate area pretty well. You need to have a good clear area with a view to the north.

HelotesAg

I just got StarLink at home - anxious to take it out on our next trip. Would make working-from-the-trailer much better... at least I hope!

Shelly S

Hello, Shelly, I did a post search for "Starlink" and came across your message from last year. Just wondering how you're continuing to like Starlink. My husband and I just purchased a Valor 42v13 for living in on some acreage we have in a rural area, and we're thinking of purchasing Starlink. Does the Starlink run through (or is it compatible with) the Wineguard 4G extender built into the RV? Thanks in advance for any info/feedback! :)
Hi starlink is super fast and nice. But if you are in an area with a lot of trees around you will be blocked part of the time. Starlink has also increased the price again to 150 a month. Which is steep but if you work from the camper I would say worth it. Starlink has its own router, so it is not routed through the wine guard. It is all self contained. I got the flag pole buddy for our ladder with the starlink adapter. Works great. I hope this has answered your questions. If not pls reach out again.

CornCrib

We're very happy with our Starlink. We're grandfathered in the Residential with Portability plan, and as long as we don't have tree cover to the north, it's done well everywhere we've gone. This, along with Project Genesis, (and backup from AT&T hotspot service on phones, which we've never had to rely on), allows us to work from everywhere we've gone. While in storage, we leave the PG plugged into a USB outlet, which gives us internet access to monitor the MicroAir thermostat for temp and Blink cameras for security. Between trips, (2 weeks or so), we've been leaving our 12v fridge on and monitoring the temp with a camera pointed at a wireless TStat in the fridge and freezer to verify temp. So far, so good.

Glenn Baker

We're very happy with our Starlink. We're grandfathered in the Residential with Portability plan, and as long as we don't have tree cover to the north, it's done well everywhere we've gone. This, along with Project Genesis, (and backup from AT&T hotspot service on phones, which we've never had to rely on), allows us to work from everywhere we've gone. While in storage, we leave the PG plugged into a USB outlet, which gives us internet access to monitor the MicroAir thermostat for temp and Blink cameras for security. Between trips, (2 weeks or so), we've been leaving our 12v fridge on and monitoring the temp with a camera pointed at a wireless TStat in the fridge and freezer to verify temp. So far, so good.
We too have Residential w/Portability. Have had Starlink for about 1.5 years and love it. Of note: When we were along the West Coast, the dish often pointed west. East Coast, it pointed east.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
@CornCrib - Paul, if you're at the $25 rate on the PG plan, you'll want to hang onto that as it looks like they stopped offering it in June.

NDCamper

We're very happy with our Starlink. We're grandfathered in the Residential with Portability plan, and as long as we don't have tree cover to the north, it's done well everywhere we've gone. This, along with Project Genesis, (and backup from AT&T hotspot service on phones, which we've never had to rely on), allows us to work from everywhere we've gone. While in storage, we leave the PG plugged into a USB outlet, which gives us internet access to monitor the MicroAir thermostat for temp and Blink cameras for security. Between trips, (2 weeks or so), we've been leaving our 12v fridge on and monitoring the temp with a camera pointed at a wireless TStat in the fridge and freezer to verify temp. So far, so good
@CornCrib | I'm curious if Project Genesis offers a hotspot data plan. I've looked at their website and all I seem to find is a cellphone plan.

HelotesAg

I hadn't read about portability, and I see now that it's not offered anymore, but I don't know what it was. I was planning to just climb up on the roof and take it with me on my trip to the beach next weekend. Will it work? Anyone know?

Had a mishap to our antenna halfway through our last road trip and was able to order a new system through Home Depot and have it drop shipped to nearest store to us. Super-fast (3 days) glad to see HD carries SL and with military discount, win-win. Note: SL antenna and router are a matched pair, if one is damaged, you must purchase a new set and it can be added to your existing account without loss of purchased monthly time schedule.

CornCrib

I hadn't read about portability, and I see now that it's not offered anymore, but I don't know what it was. I was planning to just climb up on the roof and take it with me on my trip to the beach next weekend. Will it work? Anyone know?
@HelotesAg - Portability was the term StarLink used previously for the abilty to move to different locations, rather than be tied to a geographical area in proximity to your service address. We paid extra per month ($15, I think) to have this feature. Otherwise, your dish would only connect within ... something like .. 25 miles of your service address. There was the possibility of moving your service address to wherever you were traveling to, IF service was available at that location. You could move back to your home location .. again, only if service was available when you chose to move back .. so it was a bit of a crap shoot.

They now offer what they call Roam which lets you connect anywhere in NAmerica. It gets a little more convoluted after that, with speed options, and location options .. all of which are in flux, but at the basic level, anywhere in North America where you have a clear shot at the sky.

Why did I keep Portability rather that switch to Roam? Portability offered higher priority service than Roam. We both work from the road, so good connectivity was imperative. Roam has lower priority, so if in a heavily used area, your performance could suffer. Hard to quantify exactly how much, reports vary wildly .. so we chose not to chance it.

However .. there is a cost savings with Roam if you are not full time .. as you can pause your service and restart it again when you plan to travel again. Switching to this from Portability would close the door behind us and we could never go back .. so we pay each month, and keep Portability.

If you have Roam service, you'll be fine. If not ..I'd expect you will not have connectivity. But, give it a shot and let us know what you experience. This thing seems to be always in flux and some folks report some unexpected results to the plus side at times, so who knows.

HelotesAg

@HelotesAg - Portability was the term StarLink used previously for the abilty to move to different locations, rather than be tied to a geographical area in proximity to your service address. We paid extra per month ($15, I think) to have this feature. Otherwise, your dish would only connect within ... something like .. 25 miles of your service address. There was the possibility of moving your service address to wherever you were traveling to, IF service was available at that location. You could move back to your home location .. again, only if service was available when you chose to move back .. so it was a bit of a crap shoot.

They now offer what they call Roam which lets you connect anywhere in NAmerica. It gets a little more convoluted after that, with speed options, and location options .. all of which are in flux, but at the basic level, anywhere in North America where you have a clear shot at the sky.

Why did I keep Portability rather that switch to Roam? Portability offered higher priority service than Roam. We both work from the road, so good connectivity was imperative. Roam has lower priority, so if in a heavily used area, your performance could suffer. Hard to quantify exactly how much, reports vary wildly .. so we chose not to chance it.

However .. there is a cost savings with Roam if you are not full time .. as you can pause your service and restart it again when you plan to travel again. Switching to this from Portability would close the door behind us and we could never go back .. so we pay each month, and keep Portability.

If you have Roam service, you'll be fine. If not ..I'd expect you will not have connectivity. But, give it a shot and let us know what you experience. This thing seems to be always in flux and some folks report some unexpected results to the plus side at times, so who knows.
Thanks @CornCrib. I did some reading today and I can switch to Roam and I'll get best effort service. It also says that I might not be able to switch back to residential depending on the capacity in my area, which concerns me. I was able to get Residential at my home but does anyone know if I should worry about getting it back after turning off "roam"? Also, i wonder if, since I have residential, when I put it back up at home, will I get the same speeds I was getting previously or since I'd be "best effort" would service be degraded. I also wonder if I can temporarily change my service address - and if so, how many times am I allowed to change it? I can't seem to find anyone that knows any of these answers yet. I'm going to take it with me this weekend and if it doesn't work, and the park can't support me WFH (in the trailer) next week, I'll just take a chance and switch to "Roam".

CornCrib

@HelotesAg I would look at the availability map now and see if you're in an area that that has available service, or in a wait area. If in a wait area, I'd say your chances of switching back from Roam to Residential, or from one Residential address back to your home address is poor. If in a available area, you should be fine as that map doesn't change terribly often (monthly maybe?). My guess would be that if you're in an available service area now, per the map, you shouldn't see too much of a degradation from Residential to Roam at home. Unfortunately, you're just not gonna get a definitive answer.