• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Spec versus Measured Height

Good thing I’m OCD-ish because when I measured the overall height on my new Avenue 32RLS, I found my hitched-up overall height was 13’3” whereas the published overall height is 12’10”. Pretty significant difference especially when you’re traveling in New England with lots of old infrastructure.

My last camping trip of the season was to Cape Cod Massachusetts and on Route 6 there is one bridge crossing with a roadway shoulder height of 13’3”. My Garmin RV GPS told me I couldn’t get home because of that height restriction!!!!

Knowing the Garmin RV GPS is not 100% accurate, before leaving the campground, I looked up the posted roadside height clearance signs using Google Streets. At the “restricted” bridge flagged by Garmin, I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the travel lane clearance was 13’9” (the shoulder clearance was indeed 13’3”).

FYI, I’m a retired civil engineer so my overall height measurement is pretty accurate. While hitched up to my truck in a fairly level driveway, I used a laser level on top of the front bedroom AC and while on the rooftop near the edge, I shot the height to a vertical pocket tape lowered to the driveway pavement. I did that in a few places, and corrected for the 2” instrument centerline height above the instrument base. So the 13’3” is pretty reliable. And it’s a whole lot more accurate than the published 12’10”!

Jcosentino

That's good to hear. We just got our 32RLS and I have not had a chance to measure the height to confim. What truck are you pulling your rig with?