• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Solar powered generators: thoughts?

Guidotheguide

I've looked, but have not found any threads dealing with solar powered generators vs gas or propane powered. I just watched a couple of YouTube videos and have been reading about them. Does anyone have real world experience with these? Comments/opinions/suggestions etc.

The video I watched was a for a brand called Ecoflow. The stats were impressive if true, but the price is up there.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
My understanding of these are that at their heart, it's a box with a battery and an inverter in it. As such, it's a portable DC-AC inverter. Most can be charged from AC power and DC power including solar panels, if available.

Will Prowse has reviewed many of them. Some he likes, some he doesn't. Here's a link to a search for solar generators on his YouTube channel:

Guidotheguide

My understanding of these are that at their heart, it's a box with a battery and an inverter in it. As such, it's a portable DC-AC inverter. Most can be charged from AC power and DC power including solar panels, if available.

Will Prowse has reviewed many of them. Some he likes, some he doesn't. Here's a link to a search for solar generators on his YouTube channel:
Just watched some of his videos. Other than the fact that I'm not fluent in electrical speak, I found him quite informative. I don't pretend to understand all that he was talking about, but I got the gist of it.

I can tell this is going to take a tad bit of research.

Thanks for the info.