• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Sewer odor

bartrak

My wife took a shower in our 310rl when sewer smell was awful could even smell in the pantry. What could be causing it?

Whitewolf

Could you tell if it was 'black' or 'grey' tank smell? We had a similar but different problem in our 340. We got a black tank smell when ever we flushed. Guage said not full, but I dumped anyway and the smell went away.

You are going to need to buy or make a flushing wand to attach to a water hose. Flush the toilet, place the wand down in the tank with high pressure on. keep turning it around in the tank. when your tank is 3/4 full while flushing this way. dump it. repeat this process 5 or 6 times. Also at least once a month. Once the flushing is over put 5 or 6 packets of chemical and leave about 7or 8 gallons of water in the tank.

Kcamp99186

I have noticed the smell in our 340 when an exhaust fan is on and no window or door is open to allow fresh air in. I suspect that the fans (particularly on higher speeds) creates more vacuum than normal air leakage allows. If I open a window a bit we get no odor.

Rvdoug

Isn't the 310 black vent and shower gray vent merged together in the wall?

Negative pressure is a thing BTW. If the bathroom fan is on while the toilet flushes, air will travel down the vent into the tank and up into the living space

Whitewolf

Some owners have experience a faulty collapsable valve for their showers. It doesn't collapse all the way and stays open, allowing the sewer smell to come back up thru the drain.

Mike S.

I have noticed the smell in our 340 when an exhaust fan is on and no window or door is open to allow fresh air in. I suspect that the fans (particularly on higher speeds) creates more vacuum than normal air leakage allows. If I open a window a bit we get no odor.
Same with me. I now have a window cracked open whenever running the bathroom fan.

bhidalgo

We had the same nasty smell in the kitchen of our 310RL a few weeks ago. The bathroom wasn't so bad. But, since the rig had been sitting for 2 weeks I dumped all three of them, rinsed the Black, then put some of this in all three. The smell was gone afterward. We've been using this stuff for a few months and so far it's been worth the price.

Unique RV Digest-It Holding Tank Treatment - Liquid Toilet Treatment​

Just my two cents ... Bill

HarveyTheRV

We had the same nasty smell in the kitchen of our 310RL a few weeks ago. The bathroom wasn't so bad. But, since the rig had been sitting for 2 weeks I dumped all three of them, rinsed the Black, then put some of this in all three. The smell was gone afterward. We've been using this stuff for a few months and so far it's been worth the price.

Unique RV Digest-It Holding Tank Treatment - Liquid Toilet Treatment​

Just my two cents ... Bill
yes, we have been using unique for the past year and it’s simply the best stuff and believe me we have tried everything including happy camper. Happy camper works great but unique totally dissolves all the solids including toilet paper and nothing but liquid comes out. Also eliminates all the smells.

rgeyer

Check your roof vents. Alliance was cutting the pipe to short and not sealing the roof around the pipe causing Odors to enter the attic. Check out my repair video in this thread