• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Remove Entrance Steps

ogofigure

We are at a fairly stationary location in our 2023 - 382RK and would like to remove the Lippert Solid Steps and use wooden porch like steps. Any suggestion on removing these steps?

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Should be rather straight forward. From under the RV you should see the nuts on the 4-5 bolts holding the steps on. Here is a video I did to install the steps on a prior RV...so it would be just the opposite for you to remove them.

RichieW13

Has anybody removed their steps from an Alliance? I am thinking about buying an Alliance Avenue, but one of the things that concerns me is the steps, for a few reasons:

1) When my trailer is in storage, I won't have enough room to fold out the steps to get in the trailer. Is it easy to just remove them entirely so I can climb in the trailer? I guess using a step stool.
2) On long trips we almost always pull off to the side of the road once or twice for bathroom/lunch breaks. But the ground isn't always level. Is it easy to pull the stairs out and quickly set them up for uneven ground?
3) I often boondock on uneven ground. Will the stock steps work decently if the ground is uneven? How about if the ground is significantly (5" to 10") lower or higher than the ground where the tires sit?

Ben and Kathy

@RichieW13 we have a 2021 Alliance Paradigm 385FL and just removed the Lippert steps and replaced them with Torklift Glowstep Revolution Uprising. It took about 2 hours total. I installed them while the camper was in storage a few weeks ago. Our first trip out with the new stairs will be next week. The Lippert stairs were tearing up the door frame and in constant need of adjustment, not to mention, super heavy, even with the hydraulic assist. Here is a great review of these stairs on YouTube.

Answers to your questions:
  1. With these you can have a very narrow ladder like set of stairs, or fully extend to about 50"
  2. Legs are adjustable for uneven terrain (so are the Lippert drawbridge steps that come with the Alliance)
  3. 10" might be stretching it, but 5" should be okay. You can always put blocks underneath the stair feet and add a separate step
The biggest win is #1, the ability to open the stairs in very tight quarters and still be able to get into the RV vs the drawbridge that required a minimum of about 55" of clearance to open. #'s 2 and 3 are the same whether you have the Lippert or the Torklift stairs

RichieW13

@RichieW13 we have a 2021 Alliance Paradigm 385FL and just removed the Lippert steps and replaced them with Torklift Glowstep Revolution Uprising. It took about 2 hours total. I installed them while the camper was in storage a few weeks ago. Our first trip out with the new stairs will be next week. The Lippert stairs were tearing up the door frame and in constant need of adjustment, not to mention, super heavy, even with the hydraulic assist. Here is a great review of these stairs on YouTube.

1. With these you can have a very narrow ladder like set of stairs, or fully extend to about 50"
  2. Legs are adjustable for uneven terrain (so are the Lippert drawbridge steps that come with the Alliance)
  3. 10" might be stretching it, but 5" should be okay. You can always put blocks underneath the stair feet and add a separate step
The biggest win is #1, the ability to open the stairs in very tight quarters and still be able to get into the RV vs the drawbridge that required a minimum of about 55" of clearance to open. #'s 2 and 3 are the same whether you have the Lippert or the Torklift stairs
Those look interesting, but they look like they could be a little flimsy? After you've used them please post an update as to your thoughts. Thanks!

ogofigure

We are at a fairly stationary location in our 2023 - 382RK and would like to remove the Lippert Solid Steps and use wooden porch like steps. Any suggestion on removing these steps?
I just removed them this past weekend. My main concern was releasing the pressure on the hydraulic assist. No big deal - - just back off the catches and have someone inside and push the steps in to release the pressure - - then unscrew the lift arm. Next the outside person must back out several screws through hinge into the floor (it's not bolted). Turn a little sideways and carry out.

msf6645

Were you able to get the plastic trim piece from Alliance to cover where the hydraulic assist was removed?

Ben and Kathy

Were you able to get the plastic trim piece from Alliance to cover where the hydraulic assist was removed?
Yes I was. Gave them last six of our VIN and what I wanted, shipped it right out. Had to order the whole door trim frame assembly but wasn't that much $$$.