• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Ram 3500 trailer brake settings

Good morning!

I’m looking for input from Ram 3500 owners. I have a 2020 Ram 3500 DRW with the factory towing/brake controller package pulling a Valor 36V11 with the factory drum brakes.

First question is which setting is everyone using: light electric, heavy electric, or heavy electric over hydraulic? I currently have it set at heavy electric but just don’t feel like I’m getting much trailer braking however could just be a matter of me getting used to towing and stopping this rig

Second question is what gain setting do you find to be accurate?

The Valor is in storage for another 3 months but trying to wrap my head around questions that I had after our first summer with the rig before I start the upcoming season.

Thanks!

Focker

I have a 2020 Ram 3500 SRW also with a 36v11 and have had my controller set to light electric at 4.0 with excellent results however if you read the Ram manual on the subject (I just did recently) it says to use the heavy electric with a trailer of our size.
The way to test and get your gain setting just right is to find somewhere that is flat and has some room for testing. Get your speed to about 15 to 20 mph and just use the brake controller to see what setting slows everything smoothly without locking up the trailer tires.

Grassjohn

2017 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW: We have a 385FL with the disc brake option, and I’m using heavy electric over hydraulic and gain set on 5. The 385 shipped at about 14,600 lbs, GVWR 16,800 lbs. Our last camper shipped at 10,500 lbs and I used heavy electric with gain at 6.5. I can’t imagine ever owning conventional electric brakes again.

Thanks to all for your responses. Mine is currently set on heavy electric with a gain of 8, I was concerned that it seems pretty high on the scale but this feedback puts my mind at ease

Focker

When your Valor comes out of storage I think it is important to do the testing to get them properly adjusted.

Grassjohn

It would be peace of mind to have a knowledgeable person check and adjust the brakes, maybe during a service visit.

Watermaker

We have a 2022 Ram 3500 pulling FB370.
I have the trailer brakes set at 8.5-9.0 with good results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro