• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

PVC Roof Care and Maintenance document added to Resources

Whitewolf

I guess I'm a little confused. PVC piping I understand. PVC flooring I understand. But a flexible PVC roof material, I do not understand. The material I read talks about a rubber roof. Soooo, are these roofs PVC bonded to rubber? Or am I understanding wrong? Which is extremely possible. :rolleyes:

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I guess I'm a little confused. PVC piping I understand. PVC flooring I understand. But a flexible PVC roof material, I do not understand. The material I read talks about a rubber roof. Soooo, are these roofs PVC bonded to rubber? Or am I understanding wrong? Which is extremely possible. :rolleyes:

Here’s a link to Dicor’s PVC roof web page.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi @Shelly S and @Whitewolf - I spoke to Jim Bonacci in Customer Service today and learned the following:
  1. There is no patch kit per se for patching the roof. That said, we'd gladly send you a small piece of PVC roof material to patch your boo-boo if needed.

2. As the roof material is PVC, patching it with the same PVC material is the right answer and the adhesive to apply the PVC patch to the PVC roof is PVC (pipe) Cement. It's required that you use a PVC Primer on the 2 surfaces first, then follow with PVC Cement. In both cases, you'll want to use "Clear" Primer (example) and Cement (example). Do not use ABS, CPVC or All-Purpose cement.

3. When applying a PVC patch over your PVC roof, once you've primered and cemented the patch in place, use Dicor Lap Sealant around the edge of the patch, just to ensure a watertight seam.
We don't have any videos or written examples of repairs for the PVC roof but it's something we're contemplating. Thank you both for your questions!

Shelly S

Hi @Shelly S and @Whitewolf - I spoke to Jim Bonacci in Customer Service today and learned the following:
  1. There is no patch kit per se for patching the roof. That said, we'd gladly send you a small piece of PVC roof material to patch your boo-boo if needed.

2. As the roof material is PVC, patching it with the same PVC material is the right answer and the adhesive to apply the PVC patch to the PVC roof is PVC (pipe) Cement. It's required that you use a PVC Primer on the 2 surfaces first, then follow with PVC Cement. In both cases, you'll want to use "Clear" Primer (example) and Cement (example). Do not use ABS, CPVC or All-Purpose cement.

3. When applying a PVC patch over your PVC roof, once you've primered and cemented the patch in place, use Dicor Lap Sealant around the edge of the patch, just to ensure a watertight seam.
We don't have any videos or written examples of repairs for the PVC roof but it's something we're contemplating. Thank you both for your questions!
Thank you so much for the detailed answer! Very helpful. I just finished looking at the roof where I thought there may be an issue, it appears to be fine. I do have to order new arms for the awning…it did not survive. If you could throw a scrap piece of the pvc roofing material in there I will gladly pay for it. I think it would be nice to have a piece on hand. It does appear however that this stack did not survive. Do you know what it is for?I am going to climb up and see if I can safely put some flex seal tape around it to keep water out until I can get it properly repaired. 3165C810-FA48-4CE3-AB11-75C1BF089EB1.jpeg

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Thank you so much for the detailed answer! Very helpful. I just finished looking at the roof where I thought there may be an issue, it appears to be fine. I do have to order new arms for the awning…it did not survive. If you could throw a scrap piece of the pvc roofing material in there I will gladly pay for it. I think it would be nice to have a piece on hand. It does appear however that this stack did not survive. Do you know what it is for?I am going to climb up and see if I can safely put some flex seal tape around it to keep water out until I can get it properly repaired.

Hi @Shelly S - the dinged item is a tank vent cap. I'd skip the cost of Flex Tape and buy a replacement white Vent Cap and a tube of white Dicor Lap Sealant and repair that yourself. You can email our parts team at parts@alliancerv.com to get a price on the cap and the sealant. In your email, include:
- your name
- your phone
- the last 8 of your VIN
- that picture
- your shipping address

As for a small piece of PVC roof material, decide the size you want and ask about that too. If they need to charge for that, consider contacting our Service Team at service@alliancerv.com and asking for a scrap the size you need.

Shelly S

Hi @Shelly S - the dinged item is a tank vent cap. I'd skip the cost of Flex Tape and buy a replacement white Vent Cap and a tube of white Dicor Lap Sealant and repair that yourself. You can email our parts team at parts@alliancerv.com to get a price on the cap and the sealant. In your email, include:
- your name
- your phone
- the last 8 of your VIN
- that picture
- your shipping address

As for a small piece of PVC roof material, decide the size you want and ask about that too. If they need to charge for that, consider contacting our Service Team at service@alliancerv.com and asking for a scrap the size you need.
Thanks Jim!

bhidalgo

Jim, how can I get a piece of the roof material "just in case" I need to make a minor roof repair? Thanks.

mrcomer

Hey Jim, couldn't Alliance provide some scrap pieces of pvc roofing material with each coach they send out? I bet they scrap a few feet of that on every coach.
Mark

Shelly S

Hey Jim, couldn't Alliance provide some scrap pieces of pvc roofing material with each coach they send out? I bet they scrap a few feet of that on every coach.
Mark
They do not sell scrap pieces but they will sell the material. It is 9’wide and then you tell them how much you want. Here is the info.
ITEM # 11042
DESCRIPTION Membrane - 9' - 25mm PVC - Tufflex – White - $2.05 per square foot

bhidalgo

They do not sell scrap pieces but they will sell the material. It is 9’wide and then you tell them how much you want. Here is the info.
ITEM # 11042
Thanks

Shelly S

ITEM # 11042
So I ended up knocking 2 holes in roof when replacing the awning arm. I cannot get the roof patch to stick. I placed the shiny side of the patch down. I cleaned the roof and primered both pieces. I put glue on both pieces. Will not stick to roof. Any suggestions? I tried calling service no answer. 40B33F20-9290-4539-BEF4-092DD18368A7.jpeg40B33F20-9290-4539-BEF4-092DD18368A7.jpeg

Is Eternabond tape compatible with the PVC? If so, that’ll stick! I keep some 4” wide in my SOB camper for the “just in case”. It saved the weekend of a fellow camper when he got his camper stuck in a low spot up against a tree. Tore a 2 foot hole in the side just like you have.