• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Proper Adhesive for Camera Cable

bhidalgo

Installing a Haloview camera in the same place as the Furrion preinstall for a backup camera on our 310RL. The camera system has a wireless transmitter with an attached cable that runs from the camera along the top of the roof to just aft of the cap. I will have to secure the cable to the roof with some type of non-screw-down cable clips. Suggestions for what type of adhesive/sealant to use? Not drilling any holes in the roof for this. Thanks - Bill.

CornCrib

I’ve seen folks use strips of Eternabond tape laid across every 18-24 inches or so. I plan on doing this for my Ford owner installed trailer camera cable.

Shelly S

You could also use Ty-rap self-adhesive cable bases. Just make sure you get the black ones they are uv rated. The white ones will rot after time.
Self Adhesive Cable Tie Mounts - 3M Strongly Adhesive-Backed Zip Tie Base Holders for Home, Office Cable Wire Management(19.5mm x 19.5mm, Black, 100pack) https://a.co/d/4eNlInc.

michigander

I’ve seen folks use strips of Eternabond tape laid across every 18-24 inches or so. I plan on doing this for my Ford owner installed trailer camera cable.
Did you do this install? I'm considering the same install (Ford camera) on our 310RL. I'm having the same questions about securing the cable to the roof.

Kent

CornCrib

Did you do this install? I'm considering the same install (Ford camera) on our 310RL. I'm having the same questions about securing the cable to the roof.

Kent
Not yet ... but will in the next couple of weeks. Still planning on running up the roof chase from the basement, across the ceiling secured with strips of Eternabond.

michigander

I hope it goes well for you. I will probably to mine this summer. Did you also add the Ford TPMS to your trailer? I believe they share part of yhe harness.

CornCrib

Yes. Will install the TPMS portion when I install the camera. I'll have to have a tire shop install the sensors in the wheels. I temporarily used a TST wireless TPMS systems. I wasn't a big fan. Hope the Ford OEM works better.

michigander

I think people are generally happy with the Ford Trailer TPMS from what I have read.

Do you know if it requires new valve stems? I read somewhere about Nichols valve stems, but I don't any other specifics

Also, I am curious if a local tire shop would have any problems with servicing the G rated tires or if it would need to be at a Truck service shop.

bhidalgo

I can't believe this thread of mine is still hanging in there! When I installed my camera LAST year I ended up using some double-sided Gorilla Tape from H.D. and it has held up fine.

CornCrib

Installed the Ford Trailer Camera/TPMS system last week. After seeing another Avenue owner's solution, I routed the cable down the ladder under the Door side, then across and above the coroplast out the off door side, then attached to the propane line up to the left side propane compartment. From there, ran thru some spray foam to the front compartment to join the line from the pinbox. Getting the connections from the pin box to the front compartment was the hardest part, as the gap between the roof of the compartment and the frame is less than 1" ... but using some fish rod, we finally got it thru.
IMG_1250.jpeg

michigander

Installed the Ford Trailer Camera/TPMS system last week. After seeing another Avenue owner's solution, I routed the cable down the ladder under the Door side, then across and above the coroplast out the off door side, then attached to the propane line up to the left side propane compartment. From there, ran thru some spray foam to the front compartment to join the line from the pinbox. Getting the connections from the pin box to the front compartment was the hardest part, as the gap between the roof of the compartment and the frame is less than 1" ... but using some fish rod, we finally got it thru.
View attachment 1075
Thanks for the update. Looks good.

I am curious why you chose this routing over routing it down the wire chase.

Also, how did the Nichols TPMS adapters work? Was a local tire shop able to do the install?

Thanks,
Kent

CornCrib

I chose the ladder, as it was just easier .. and I didn't have to open the chase and reseal it. The cable for the camera was plenty long and is almost invisible.

I had the TPMS sensors installed this weekend. Provided the Nichols adapters to the tire shop, but they said they were not needed (surprised me). Pleasant surprise from Belle Tire ... they did the mounting for me. Spent about 1.5 hours at their shop. When done, they didn't charge me. Just asked that I consider them in the future when needing new tires. Absolutely, I will!!! Another nationwide tire shop in the area quoted me $30 per tire, but couldn't get to me for a week. Went to a local Love's Truck Stop tire shop first .. they declined as they said they can't work on wheels that small.

Last edited:

bhidalgo

I chose the ladder, as it was just easier .. and I didn't have to open the chase and reseal it. The cable for the camera was plenty long and is almost invisible.

I had the TPMS sensors installed this weekend. Provided the Nichols adapters to the tire shop, but they said they were not needed (surprised me). Pleasant surprise from Belle Tire ... they did the mounting for me. Spent about 1.5 hours at their shop. When done, they didn't charge me. Just asked that I consider them in the future when needing new tires. Absolutely, I will!!! Another nationwide tire shop in the area quoted me $30 per tire, but couldn't get to me for a week.
How long was the cable? The one I got with my F350 said roughly 36 feet. Thanks.

CornCrib

Sorry ... didn't measure. But, I ran it over to ladder (4'), down the ladder (10') diagonally above the tire/coraplast (8'), up to the front left propane compartment (25ish'), up to the roof of the propane compartment (3') to the front compartment (1') to connect to the Y of the TMPS module. From there, another cable runs through the pinbox to the truck. (Just an very rough estimate, been a while since I took geometry).

bhidalgo

Thanks
I was debating using the camera / TPMS wiring package Ford provided with my F350 or not. I’m starting to move closer to using it now.

michigander

How long was the cable? The one I got with my F350 said roughly 36 feet. Thanks.
There's a 48' cable just for the camera connection. This attaches to the main harness that has a take-out for the TPMS and another for the yaw sensor (if you get the set up for pro trailer back up assist).

On my 310RL I was able to run a fish tape forward to the pin box and pull the front harness through to the front storage compartment. I did this yesterday.

I still need to run the 48' harness from the camera foward. I am planning on routing it across the roof to the wire chase. Then into the propane compartment to the front storage where I can connect to the harness that I already installed.

michigander

I finished the install today. I had about 8 ft of extra camera wiring on my 310RL.

I drilled a 1-1/4" hole through the panel between the propane and the main storage (with the plan of using one of the grommetsthat came on the harness. I had to file out the hole a bit to get the connector through. Now I just need to get a 2" grommet to fill the hole where I removed the plastic plug between the front bay and Propane tank area.

Attachments

• 20230620_101704.jpg
    20230620_101704.jpg
    790 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230620_105433.jpg
    20230620_105433.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230620_105443.jpg
    20230620_105443.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 18

michigander

I had the TPMS sensors installed this weekend. Provided the Nichols adapters to the tire shop, but they said they were not needed (surprised me). Pleasant surprise from Belle Tire ... they did the mounting for me. Spent about 1.5 hours at their shop. When done, they didn't charge me. Just asked that I consider them in the future when needing new tires. Absolutely, I will!!! Another nationwide tire shop in the area quoted me $30 per tire, but couldn't get to me for a week. Went to a local Love's Truck Stop tire shop first .. they declined as they said they can't work on wheels that small.
I'm getting the TPMS installed this week.

Where did you end up mounting the receiver module? The instructions don't provide any info about placement. I'm wondering if the front storage area will pose any problems with receiving the signals.