• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Paradigm Living area lights

310RL. Is it possible, somehow someway far far away in another galaxy, to use a different dimmer switch for the main living area ceiling lights so that they could be dimmed even further?

darrell

I have not yet, but I did see on the Alliance facebook group (not sure which one, maybe Mods & Upgrades) where someone found some dimmers that worked in the Paradigms. Just haven't picked any up yet.

darrell

I don't either, but I borrow my wife's ipad to look once in a while. I will follow up with the info when I get some time to look for it.

darrell

I may have not read your post closely enough. Since not all of the bright lights in our 390MP have the dimmer, I assumed that you wanted to dim those as well. I want to be able to dim the lights above the table, recliners, and bed. Sorry about the miss. I am not sure if they are the same or not, but I do know if you dim an LED too far it can cause issues with the lights themselves. Perhaps you can pop the lense and put wax paper or another thin membrane to dim them down a bit (only useful if you never want them on full blast brightness).

Andrew

I've been eyeing that RecPro dimmer for a while myself. In my 340 RL, there are incredibly bright LED's over the theatre seating and over the dining table. There is currently no dimmer for those particular lights. I feel like that RecPro dimmer would be just the trick to take the edge off the bright lighting. Unless the LED's are non dimmable, I don't see why the switch wouldn't work. One thing to note, the lights over the theatre seating are 'can' lights like the ones in the ceiling of the main living area, which are on a dimmer. Those shouldn't be an issue. The ones over the dining table have the pushbuttons on them and can be turned on/off individually. They may or may not be dimmable.

EDIT: This is actually the dimmer switch I am looking at: Amazon.com: American Technology Components 12 Volt DC Dimmer Switch for LED, Halogen, Incandescent - RV, Auto, Truck, Marine, and Strip Lighting (Slider, Black) : Automotive. It's the same shape and size as the current switches in these locaitons.

Djbutcher3

I got 2 of these off amazon and replaced the dining and seating light switches on my 340. Works like a champ. They don't dim to full off but much better than the original blinding light. You gotta enlarge the hole a bit with a utility knife. The hot wire off the original switch (bottom one on mine) goes to red, the other wire off the switch goes to white, and you have to dig in the wall and pull out the white wires that are just spliced together for the ground (black).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F2Y1NR1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Andrew

That's great news @Djbutcher3 !! Did the spliced wires use these crimp style butt connectors:
0191600012 Molex | Connectors, Interconnects | DigiKey ?
I assume you just cut them off and replaced?

I was thinking about using these push-in style. I've used them in very successfully in my sticks & bricks house, and the packaging says it will work up to 18AWG stranded wire.
Ideal In-Sure Push-In Wire Connector 3-Port Orange (10 per Bag, Standard Package is 6 Bags) 30-1333S (homedepot.com)

The USB port down between the sofa and the recliners doesn't work. I've taken the panel off, and the hot wire wasn't crimped well, and popped out sometime before we bought the unit. I'd rather not go back with that style of connector. (side note, the 'wood' behind that USB panel looks like it was cut out with a very dull deeply serrated knife. Alliance, if you're listening, buy your line staff some sharp quality blades!)

Djbutcher3

Yes, the splices on the ground wires are the ones you show. I just cut off, replaced, and ensured a proper crimp. There's one more ground wire at the switch by the table versus by the recliners, so the 3 port push style may be one short at that end. I also cut off the blade connectors that went to the old switch and used in line splices to make those connections.

I should probably check the USB ports by the sofa and by the bed :unsure:. Just been using the one in the cabinet by the door.