• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Opening above the island cabinet heat vents

BirchyBoy

I was looking at the heat vents in the island today and noticed that the cabinets directly above the two vents are not closed in. It seems that since heat rises, closing the space in may help force more heat into the room. Has anyone done this?

Attachments

• F6077580-3E69-412D-9947-66FC83242E6A.jpeg
    F6077580-3E69-412D-9947-66FC83242E6A.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 46

RockingRK

1665771358265.pngThe silver duct tape on the side of the vent box under the island should seal off the duct and not allow heated air into the cabinet area. Closing off the area under the drawer is not necessary. I have the same configuration. The "black box" sits on the floor next to the duct. That will be the subject of another post as to the problems that box can cause.

CornCrib

I was looking at the heat vents in the island today and noticed that the cabinets directly above the two vents are not closed in. It seems that since heat rises, closing the space in may help force more heat into the room. Has anyone done this?
I see what you're saying, as the heat would come out of the vent and move up into the cabinet, especially since the volocity of the air coming out of there is not great. Its more of a breath than a blow, if you will (at least that's the case in my 32RLS). Yes .. I agree .. some way of closing that gap would not be a bad idea. It certainly won't hurt, and wouldn't take alot of effort.

BirchyBoy

I cut some cardboard as a test. The initial result feels like more airflow from the seat nearest the dining table. If it is better, I’ll cut some luan to make it more permanent.

Attachments

• 8DEC8C96-01FF-4339-AA36-28ADC3561F4F.jpeg
    8DEC8C96-01FF-4339-AA36-28ADC3561F4F.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 633C5ACC-6DD6-4764-99BA-4F105F2D0AB8.jpeg
    633C5ACC-6DD6-4764-99BA-4F105F2D0AB8.jpeg
    342.8 KB · Views: 28

rgeyer

Good idea. I wished I would have thought of that when I was down there retaping the ductwork. On my to do list. Also, the way the vent cover is designed restricts air flow. I replaced mine with some black screen. Still won't blow out a match but it helped

khans81k

Great catch, I have been fighting air flow problems with my Valor this gives me another place to fix. Thanks

Terri&KevinGates

86AC6069-6748-4C27-942D-D81A4AA2E259.jpegAir flow in our 310RL was almost non existent. I fixed 2 issues yesterday. First was the back panel on the furnace was missing a screw leaving 3/4 inch gap. Second was when they taped the duct under the island they left half the opening covered. Still not as good as the vent in the bathroom that will burn the skin off your foot if you leave it there too long but it’s better.

Andrew

It was well below freezing on the first night in our 340RL. when walking barefoot around the island, I felt freezing cold air billowing out from under it. I went to Home Depot and got a couple small rolls of fiberglass insulation. There's a 4" gap all the way around the island that is mostly open. I carefully shoved the insulation in the gap all the way around, between the bottom of the island and the toe kick. That at least stoped MOST of the freezing cold air from getting in.