• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Norcold 2118 cooling problems

I’m looking for guidance, help, and direction to go at this point. Our Norcold 2118 is acting up and I’m not sure what to do next. We’re out for the winter in Texas so I do’t have access to my local Norcold tech but there may be a local tech that is good.

It may be that the roads down have vibrated something loose but I don’t at this point know. We did drive some really bad roads on the way from Indiana to Mission, TX.

The issues that we’re having are:
The flap between the doors is dragging and not closing properly, causing some condensation and icing.
I believe that this is due to needing a spacer on the bottom to lift the door (probably a c-clip or washer spacer). This should be a fairly easy fix (I hope).

The big issue is that when the flap is in proper orientation and closed, the temp in the fridge doesn’t come down. I’ve gone through the easier of the troubleshooting suggestions and didn’t find anything. Norcold diagnostics show a fin temp of 31° but thermometers in the refrigerator unit show in the 40’s with the freezer at 11° so it looks like the unit is trying to cool.

I’ve switched to propane from electric to determine if the electric heater is functioning properly. At this point, I don’t have the results from that. I can’t access the temperature sensors on the boiler to see if the rear fans are working. If weather permits, I will get into the top vent to see if the baffles have moved or if there is something that is blocking air movement.

It may be that the flap is the culprit and with in properly closed, the unit may cool as it should but I won’t know till tomorrow morning.
I guess what I’m looking for is some direction as to what to do next. I think the Norcold may be out of warranty (by a few days) so I’ll probably call Norcold in the morning. If you have other suggestions, please email me back.

I may post this in the Alliance forums but not on FB, all that will do is cause a lot of unnecessary comments.

Thanks for listening. I’ll be grateful for any help.

Al Rodecap

Just thought I'd update this with the current status. I pulled the left door and put a 5/16" ID washer on the lower mount & replaced the door. The flap works as it should with a single washer. I'll have to defrost the freezer once we use the food in the fridge.