• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

No power in my 340RL

Gleninaz

First trailer for me. I hooked it up to 50 amp at an rv park and have a surge protector. Everything worked great including all 3 AC units. Left it for a week and went over this morning and nothing inside works. Reset the outside and inside breakers and still nothing. Is there a reset switch somewhere else in the coach?

Grassjohn

A couple quick things to try:
- Remember that you have to switch the breakers off, then on.
- After the reset, if no joy, hook the camper up without the surge protector just to check for power.
- Try to use the 30 amp plug (if you have the adapter to do so).
- The campground also has a distribution panel somewhere, they might have an issue there.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Top items would be the power from RV park and your surge protector. Which surge protector do you have? Hardwired or portable unit?

Gleninaz

Portable unit and all blue lights. I will check the other things this week. I looked at the gfi in the bath so will try to see if it resets. I will check the battery switch then look for the inverter. I'll let you know.

Gleninaz

I checked everything outside and all good. Heard the clunk from the inverter. Inside no power except for the microwave. Checked the only GFI I could find in the bathroom and it is on. I will call an RV tech to come out and help. Checked the breakers. Driving me nuts.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I checked everything outside and all good. Heard the clunk from the inverter. Inside no power except for the microwave. Checked the only GFI I could find in the bathroom and it is on. I will call an RV tech to come out and help. Checked the breakers. Driving me nuts.
I have you tried to connect to the shore power without the surge protector? Have you tried using the 30 amp service from the shore power pole?

Gleninaz

I am thinking the converter is bad since the microwave works and is 110 volts but nothing else as it takes 12v even to make the 110 AC work.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I am thinking the converter is bad since the microwave works and is 110 volts but nothing else as it takes 12v even to make the 110 AC work.
What is your setup? Do you have solar plus? Basic Solar? No solar? Do you have an inverter?

dwcfish

Had a similar issue when we picked up our rig. They must have initially hooked up the batteries backwards. There are fuses that protect against this. Both of the ones on my panel were blown. Replaced them and the converter then was charging the batteries. These are blade type fuses.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Had a similar issue when we picked up our rig. They must have initially hooked up the batteries backwards. There are fuses that protect against this. Both of the ones on my panel were blown. Replaced them and the converter then was charging the batteries. These are blade type fuses.
Whoa...that is NOT good :( However, I doubt this is OP issue as everything was working before he left the RV for a week.

dwcfish

Just a follow up..... Everything worked in mine until the batteries were used up...... The fuses just protect the converter, as a result if the fuses are blown and the battery is correctly installed everything will work in the rig but no charging will happen

Last edited:

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Just a follow up..... Everything worked in mine until the batteries were used up...... The fuses just protect the converter, as a result if the fuses are blown and the battery is correctly installed everything will work in the rig but no charging will happen
Ah...that make more sense. 😎

Gleninaz

I better check the batteries. They are older wet cells so thanks for the tip. I'm not living in it for a while so have time to figure this out. No solar on the rig as I am buying a lot by the lake and putting up a steel canopy.

Gleninaz

My first RV and I am a dummy. I found a red wire behind the battery that was not connected then found the battery switch in the main storage bay and the owner had it off. I think the red wire was to charge the batteries from the converter, Everything works perfect now. Still learning.

Oregon_Camper

Forum Moderator
Staff member
If you can attach a picture of the wire, showing the area around it, that would help us try to figure out the wire. Have you attached a volt meter to it to see if it has 12v power?

Gleninaz

I had a mobile tech out and he just attached the red wire. It was the one that charged the batteries from the converter. Simple no brainer stuff.