• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Need ideas on fastening to interior walls

TheRayQuelines

Not sure if this is the correct thread for this question but here goes. . .
Couldn't find anything in the search function so if this is addressed in another thread feel free to point me there.
Checked the owners manual as well.

Seems like a simple enough question, what are the best fasteners for mounting to the walls? Specifically the towel rack and TP holder in the bathroom. Looking to hang a couple extra towel hooks as well.

Thanks for any input.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Hi @TheRayQuelines ,

I can only give you my personal perspective based on experience with a number of RVs.

Whatever surface you mount to, always be mindful of the total thickness of the substrate and its composition.

For example, if you're mounting to an interior wall or paneled side of a cabinet, note that the thickness of the luan is about 3/32". That's less than 1/8" - so pretty thin. In these substrates, if I'm mounting something light, I will use a short screw with wood threads (coarse and with a sharp point) and no smooth shank. You need threads all the way to the screw head. Another thought on mounting items to an interior wall or cabinet panel is to consider using a backer inside the wall (if practical) or inside the cabinet. A piece of 1/2" thick pine or even plywood can help you achieve success in mounting.

When I mount anything to an exterior wall, always first consider the thickness of the RV wall and the weight of what I'm hanging. If its light weight, say a small framed picture, I might use a small screw into the interior decor board and use the hanger on the picture to hang it on the screw. I will always use a 3M Command Strip or similar on the back of the frame near the bottom. This keeps the picture from swinging back and forth on the mounting screw while traveling.

When I mount something more substantial to an outside wall, I will use a plastic anchor of some sort and size, depending on the weight I'm supporting. Here again, always consider overall wall thickness when using fasteners the penetrate the wall. I will then use a screw into the short screw into the plastic anchor to hang my item.

I hope my experience gives you the confidence you need to tackle this job.

TheRayQuelines

Appreciate the input! We used the command stick on hooks in our previous travel trailer for lightweight hangings. We removed the hangings from the walls during travel. The hooks tended to separate from the wall during high temp/humidity seasons. They also would cause the wall finish to bubble a bit. Not sure if was a reaction to the adhesive or just the minimal weight pulling it from the backing. Not looking for heavy duty solutions just something a bit more sturdy for towel racks and the like. THANKS!
Ray

For heavy items, I use screw in drywall anchors. They are plastic so you likely can't hurt Azdel. I have about 5 installed throughout my 390. Get 1 to 1.5" and you should be fine. Drill a starter hole the size of the tip of the anchor, then drive it into place.
Screenshot_20211217-093440_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Gudde1251

@Jim Beletti - How would you go about finding the metal studs (Frame) on the exterior wall? - I am guessing the interior wall luan panel edges are on 4' metal framework. Using brick and stick logic, Is there a metal frame (stud) at the centerline of the luan panel? Ive got a 2021 365RD. Can I find a drawing of the door side exterior wall?

Bill Martin

VP, Customer Experience
Staff member
@Jim Beletti - How would you go about finding the metal studs (Frame) on the exterior wall? - I am guessing the interior wall luan panel edges are on 4' metal framework. Using brick and stick logic, Is there a metal frame (stud) at the centerline of the luan panel? Ive got a 2021 365RD. Can I find a drawing of the door side exterior wall?
Good morning. With a laminated exterior wall the aluminum studs are primarily used around the perimeter of the wall, opening in the wall (ie sliderooms, windows, doorway, etc). At locations where we secure cabinets or other structural items we use galvanized backers laminated into the walls. If there is something specific you are looking to achieve our service team can often assist if you email service@alliancerv.com

Trent Mills

Email the service department with your year, model and VIN. They can send you a diagram.

Trent Mills

For heavy items, I use screw in drywall anchors. They are plastic so you likely can't hurt Azdel. I have about 5 installed throughout my 390. Get 1 to 1.5" and you should be fine. Drill a starter hole the size of the tip of the anchor, then drive it into place.
View attachment 255
These turned on me when they were in the exterior wall before the screw set. At least when I tried them six times in the wall by the door... ;-)

raboud

So, has any found an answer on where to fasten the hand towel and TP holders and using what? My wife wants me to mount these items ASAP on our new 340RL. The TP holder seems easy enough to mount on the plywood trim in the bath. But where do I hand the towel holder? The walls look and sound awfully thin and I'm afraid that anything that I mount could easily be ripped out.

Bozo

So, has any found an answer on where to fasten the hand towel and TP holders and using what? My wife wants me to mount these items ASAP on our new 340RL. The TP holder seems easy enough to mount on the plywood trim in the bath. But where do I hand the towel holder? The walls look and sound awfully thin and I'm afraid that anything that I mount could easily be ripped out.
We simply used command strip hooks for towels and such.

RockDr896

View attachment 255
I used the metal version instead, I have a 370FP and the TV in the Master is mounted to an exterior wall. The TV mount had just screws and stripped within 2 trips. 11 months later, the metal version is holding tight and they have large threads to give them the clamping strength. If you have anything with weight...this is the way to go.

kelleyh

Couldn't find anything in the search function so if this is addressed in another thread feel free to point me there.

Seems like a simple enough question, what are the best fasteners for mounting to the walls? Specifically the towel rack and TP holder in the bathroom. Looking to hang a couple extra towel hooks as well.

Thanks for any input.
We didn't attach the TP holder at all. We got a freestanding TP holder. Regarding the towel ring, We got the 16 lb 3m picture hanging strips at Walmart. We didn’t want to put holes in the walls and used the same strips for artwork. Not one picture has fallen off in thousands of miles of traveling. And, as a bonus, it doesn’t damage the walls coming off in case you choose to move artwork around.

Thanks for any input.
The best solution I have found to hanging lightweight stuff to the walls are large-flange tri-folding pop rivets.

GMK32RLS

Here is a similar question. I want to mount a spring loaded stainless steel door holder to the exterior side and to the entry door exterior to keep the door open in the wind. Would #10 SS sheet metal screws work?

Attachments

• 41lCPSRbpEL._SS284_.jpeg
    41lCPSRbpEL._SS284_.jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Here is a similar question. I want to mount a spring loaded stainless steel door holder to the exterior side and to the entry door exterior to keep the door open in the wind. Would #10 SS sheet metal screws work?
I’ve used similar screws over the years for this and never had an issue.

Be sure you don’t have a glass entry door though.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Jim,

I am having trouble seeing through the door, does this mean it is not glass?

Gary
Gary - I’m not sure. Delta comes with the glass doors. I think there’s a decal on the door that mentions glass. I’m not home to confirm this.