• Click here to access some of the presentations made during the 2022 National Rally

Is adding heat to Valor garage A/C possible?

Val36

Has anybody added heat (electric heat strips or heat pump) to the Valor A/C unit? Is this possible? I thought I heard of someone doing this. Does it use same thermostat and now has a heat option?

Bill Martin

VP, Customer Experience
Staff member
I'm not aware of that being done. it may take a bit of research to see what needs done to add a heatpump to the AC.

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
I don’t think you can add a heat pump to an existing rooftop AC unit but you may be able to add a heat strip. Here are some matches on RV Upgrades (link). I suggest you reach out to Airxcel to get their take on adding a heat strip to their units.

Email: rvpsupport@airxcel.com
Phone: 574-247-9235

Val36

Thanks, Jim!

I sent an email to the rvpsupport with the link mentioned above, asking if adding heat strips to current A/C can be done. I have to send him my a/c model number still. Seems like new control box, new thermostat, new heat strip and fish more lines to thermostat to add heat strip to current A/C unit. More expensive than a space heater, but much simpler and more convenient and I could set a different temp for the Master Bedroom than kids room. He has provided the following info so far:

Ok you will have to change the control box and thermostat. Also have to run another wire from the a/c down to the thermostat. The new control box would be 9330c755 ($88) or8330-5571 and the thermostat 9430a3362 ($53). What is the a/c model number so I can make sure you have the correct heat strip number?

Technical Assistance Coordinator
Coleman-Mach and Maxxair Brands of Airxcel
3050 N. St. Francis

Wichita, Kansas 67219

This is the back of my current thermostat he asked me about, no heat option.
1636032251228.png

Jim Beletti

Owner Experience Liaison
Staff member
Great research Tim. take a look closely at the thermostat wire and you may find there are one or more extra wires in the jacket. If so, that can say you a bit of hassle x 2 :)

Keep this thread updated with your progress as I’m sure others would be interested in possibly doing this Coleman certified upgrade.